New flower bed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks everyone for your kind comments. (y)

but I like the rose and the colour scheme.

The rose wasn't my choice having been a gift from a friend, that said I'd admired the one that my friend already had so I'm very pleased with it. :) I don't work with a colour scheme, I plant what I like whether it clashes or not. I plant by height, it's no good having small plants at the back of a bed.

I am an enthusiast for island beds and big sweeping curves

You and me both Verdun. :) Unfortunately I couldn't have borders in my last garden, my house deeds restricted me from planting within 9ft of the boundaries because of the main services running through from front to back. It also made sense to have island beds as my front garden was large.

I'm impressed by your stamina in digging the beds which is hard graft especially the first dig; what's the soil like to get the spade into; are you finding lots of debris like stones or other buried junk?

I'm not so sure it's stamina Colin but will power. ;) I shouldn't be digging at all but like most gardeners I enjoy it as much as anything else I work on out there. The soil is easy to work with and living in a rural area there's no builders rubble etc. to deal with. I do live on rocky ground though and there were quite a few stones and a number of small rocks to dig out.

I've been watching your progress Colin and it's going well. (y) My garden has a gentle slope not the side of a hill that you have to contend with.

Mother Nature doesn't do squares or straight lines very well, if at all. Can't wait to see what you have in mind for the entire bed.

Mother Nature likes to do her own thing and in most of my garden she does......with the exception of my beds, they're mine to play with! I have nothing in mind for the bed as I don't plan ahead in the garden. When I shop for plants I will buy what I like and what will survive, taking into account height and spread only. I don't colour co-ordinate but it seems to work out okay. :)

131.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Judging by the last photo, Verdun, you've competition. Are they on steroid?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sheal, I agree that's a delightful picture :).

Ha ha alp. You are right :)

However, I like to co-ordinate plants....by colour, shape, texture, etc......but, now and then, mother nature throws up wonderful ideas. Behind me the towans leading to the beach is full of wild plantings that just look so comfortable. She has planted a 200 metre avenue of vipers bugloss, evening primrose, pink saponaria, white, pink and red valerian, yellow coconut scented gorse (almost always in flower) and Tamarisk. Overhead and behind wide spreading sea buckthorn with blue foliage and orange berries look good as does the foreground swathes of lemon scented thyme and wild orchids ...how can we beat that? :)

I am also beginning to change my mind about so-called colour clashes..........Christopher Lloyd came to the conclusion that nothing really clashes in the garden as long as the plants grow well and are happy; he planted whatever took his fancy. A "clashing" colour often created interest, a talking point and, prob took a bit of bravery! (y) Might make a couple of "brave" plantings next year myself! :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have to say that I like colours of a similar moods chucked together. For example a deep red goes with black or dark brown. I like neighbouring colours in the colour wheel..

Or just two clashing colours together.. Too many clashing colours is a headache for me!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
No not steroids @alp but annuals do like a dose of chicken manure pellets. :D

Go on @Verdun! Select a bed and try planting at random colour-wise. ;) If you use annuals they'll be gone by the end of the season and you can start afresh when they've finished.

I haven't got a clue who Christopher Lloyd is but I like his style! :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for the tip. I'm storing my bargain buy for next year..

upload_2017-12-10_21-23-25.jpeg

Here to jot your memory .. Greater Dixter was his patch. Judging from your photos, you don't need him. No need to know. ;)

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Please excuse me regarding colour; a while ago Bron and I did a colour blind test online; out of 24 samples Bron got 24; I got 3 so I'm hopelessly colour blind. Taking this into account then I'm with Christopher Lloyd and not only that I've been informed a few times I'm a Christopher Lloyd double. I presume it's the same Christopher Lloyd as here;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Lloyd

Bron and I think he's great in Taxi as Jim and Bron thinks I'm just great. (y):D:D:D

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for enlightening me alp; just showing my ignorance in gardening matters. :(

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for your compliments @Fagiolino. :)

Yes, only a fork and spade. Not wishing to sound big headed but I have a natural ability for precision cutting, the same goes for levelling, I rarely need any assistance.

I don't always get it right with the flowers I plant or what I choose to grow. :oops: But I grow as much as possible from seed or cuttings.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The more I see others' handiwork, the more I think I should give up my sort of planting ..or messing about in the garden.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Don't you dare alp. :LOL:

Kind regards, Colin.

If you see the state of my garden, you will think what I have been up to??? Very sad! Even after I cleared the mess, I had two planter beds and now they are covered with bolted vegs and stinging nettles. I don't even go there .. Need a handyman like you! Or concreting the whole lot!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I'll second that Colin....don't you dare give up @alp !

Quite often new gardeners are told to select one part of the garden at a time to work on so that it's not too daunting, may be that's the way to go. Or have a gravel garden that's easier to keep. :)

Internet picture
th

Ask a Question