New flower bed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
At the end of September I moved house. With plenty to do inside I had no intention of starting anything major in the garden until next Spring. Well that's what I thought until a dear forum friend sent me a bare-root rose, thank you, which had to be planted as soon as possible. There's only one tiny bed in shade in the front garden, pretty useless for a rose being a sun lover.

Interrupting the 'doings' inside I ventured outside with my spade and fork to start work in a sunny spot in the back garden. There was no point in digging out just a small patch for the rose leaving the rest until Spring, I might as well complete the job and leave it ready for future planting up. :)

I always work without a plan and see what develops as I go along. First job to remove the turf having no idea what type of soil is underneath.

003 New First Bed.JPG

A bit of a surprise! I was expecting clay but no it's loamy, stony sand and yet another hungry soil. My last garden was sandy being coastal and I was hoping to escape that, it needs a lot of manure and compost to enrich it.
004.JPG

In the process of digging out I came across a cable coming out of the house wall immediately to the right of the bathroom outlet pipe, this supplying electricity to the septic tank pump. Although it's buried deep I've put a roof tile there temporarily so I don't cause any damage ( or electrocute myself) with further digging.

With the bed dug over, many stones and rocks removed, I planted the rose with manure at it's roots and back filled with blood fish and bone mixed with soil. The shape of the bed waiting to be fine tuned.
005.JPG

006.JPG

The rose looking a little lost by itself at the moment.
007 Rose 'Crazy For You'.JPG

More to follow......

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 383
  • 007 Rose 'Crazy For You'.JPG
    007 Rose 'Crazy For You'.JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 357
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    256.5 KB · Views: 377

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Soil looks nice, @Sheal! Wish mine was like that! Very nice curvy lines .. Before you know, you will have roses pumping out fragrance!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
After a break for an early sprinkling of snow it's back to work. Below I've fine tuned the curves.

008.JPG

009.JPG

I've spread some compost but need more. When I moved to Scotland the contents of my house went into storage while I rented a furnished cottage that didn't have a garden. That in turn meant I couldn't bring many plants with me. With very little space in the car I only managed to squeeze in four behind the front seats. Three of them were rare, two Fuschia's and a dwarf Iris, also a much moved Geranium.

The stick to the left marks the Geranium. The Iris is to the right and in front of that a sad Sedum that I rescued, having been smothered by an established Bamboo in the front garden here. Sadly I lost both Fuschia's over last winter, to cold outside and to warm inside.
010.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

That's it until next Spring when I start planting up the rest of the bed. I half expect to move the plants, with the exception of the rose, to different positions.

The rose 'Crazy For You' picture taken from the internet.
1BAD1EF301000F885EBCC1A310DE6F07.jpg

Dwarf Iris, sweetly perfumed.
Iris 'Little Chestnut' (4).JPG

Geranium.
Geranium (1).JPG

Sedum. This picture was taken in my last garden and I expect the one in the new bed to be the same, turning a burgundy colour late in the season.
Sedum (2).JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Love that rose and what an apt name CRAZY FOR YOU! Very pretty and they will look spectacular next to the sedum ..

Very exciting, Sheal!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Sheal, I am sure you will do a fabulous job of it, judging from the photos of your gardens. You know, I was a bit shocked to see the curvy lines..

I am so dumb - every flower bed made by me was square, straight, not very feminine! See, your lines are sexy and different. I really should observe more and not dig any more SQUARE hole!:LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
When you think about it @alp our gardens start off as a square or oblong plot usually, adding curves softens that even with a long border. It makes it a bit more difficult for mowing the lawn but it's worth it. :)

I've never had my lines described as sexy before. :LOL: You too can have sexy lines. If you've got square beds now it's still possible to put curves in. If you're worried about creating the shape you can either draw it out on paper first or walk round the bed creating curves with some sand. If they don't look right brush them out and start again. :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I will have sexy curvy islands when I move .. whenever that is. I won't want to see my plant leaning forward for the sun again. Because of that, my rose arch which was wreathed in and out with clematis armandii and Jackmanii had to be dismantled. I used numerous sticks to prop it up, but no! In the end, the pulling power of the sun was just too much. Thanks you sharing your photos as they really give me some idea..

But I have to sell my house first .. Tonight I will dream ..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Don't give up hope of moving. It took me sixteen months to sell my last house and a year to find the one I'm in now after selling.

We're always learning with gardening, especially by mistakes - but it's fun getting it right! :)

I don't mind you being a copycat, it's nice to know I'm of some use. :D

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning, Sheal et al: Judging from your favorite plants, I will copy that as well. Don't think I will have your neatness, but I like the rose and the colour scheme.

I'd be laughing if I can move 16 months. There are always the dreaded chains. Hope it's nice and calm in Scotland. We don't seem to have any snow here, yet!;)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking good Sheal :) Those shapes make for exciting plantings (y)

I am an enthusiast for island beds and big sweeping curves.......Adrian Bloom (of Bressingham Gardens fame) was my inspiration and I still have that mentallity when planting. It means the old logic of always having the tallest plants at the back and the smallest at the front can be challenged and experimented with.....all fun(y)

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Very well done Sheal. (y)

I'm impressed by your stamina in digging the beds which is hard graft especially the first dig; what's the soil like to get the spade into; are you finding lots of debris like stones or other buried junk? I've been digging our rear garden over and it's been very difficult indeed but apart from the top of the garden where its rectangular lower down I too have created curves; I turned all the grass and moss in; next springtime I'll go over with a tiller.

Thanks for sharing and for posting the excellent pictures; full credit to you Sheal; I'm impressed. (y)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Lookin good Sheal. Another note on curved beds is, it looks more natural. Mother Nature doesn't do squares or straight lines very well, if at all. Can't wait to see what you have in mind for the entire bed.

Ask a Question