Need suggestions for plant in our hall

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We have been looking at getting a new plant for our hall, but it has been tricky trying to find the right one. Our hall has a small window above the front door, and there is a window kind of opposite it at the other end of the hall partway up the stairs, but the place that we are looking to put the plant does not receive any direct light from either so the plant needs to cope well in shady areas. We've got high ceilings so we can get away with a fairly tall plant, but we don't want it to be too wide as it would get bashed by passing foot traffic.

My thoughts so far are:

Schefflera
Schefflera_Actinaphylla.jpg

Blushing Philodendron
56102827e0403a382c00bdfe371a.jpg

Sweetheart Plant
phil_scandens_120.jpg

Does anyone here have any experience with these plants or suggestions for alternative?

Reaction score
I would go with the Blushing Philodendron, this is one of the plants I have indoors.. I also have Schefflera but it grows tall and spindly indoors where there is insufficient light..I do not have a sweetheart plant so I do not know about it.
You could also think about adding a nice indoor light around that area to give your plant some light.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Maddie :) My favourite of the above 3 was the blushing philodendron too, so that's good. We're off to the garden centre this week so I'll let you know how I get on!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you are in the market for another good plant for your hall you may want to look at a rubber tree plant. I have always had good luck with those and they do not require alot of care.

Reaction score
Mother in laws tongue is very tolerant of many conditions. pic below. I have a totem and made it out of pothos. You can make them any height you want and are very easy to grow, second pic.

images
pothos%20totem%20plant.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the advice! I really like the look of the mother in law's tongue, but unfortunately our garden centre didn't have it... in fact there wasn't much of a selection in any of the places we tried which was disappointing.

We found something in the end however - a Kentia Palm (Howea is the latin name I think).

Here's a picture of the plant in situe:

kentia palm.JPG

Reaction score
The Areca Palm, pictured above and the Peace Lily are both medium to low light plants. I have both and the Peace Lily tends to do well in evening sun more-so than morning sun. The Areca Palm can grow in height rather than in width, depending on how you prune it. You can prune the sides and use some of those plastic ties to sort of keep the plant upright. You could also consider a philodendron, or pothos, and grow it on a tall piece of wood (pictured above this post) so it will grow as a vine, or you can grow it as a hanging plant like the picture below.

golden_pothos.jpg

Reaction score
Becky shame you don't live in the states as I would send you a piece of that mother in laws tongue.. I have quite a few pieces that have sprouted up from the plant I have. We got the plant from my wifes grandmother when she passed away 10 or so years ago, who knws how long she had it, so I have no idea on its age.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's a shame, it's a beautiful plant!

What a lovely keep sake too - it's so nice to know that you have something that was loved and tended by someone close to you.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I really like the look of the mother in law's tongue, but unfortunately our garden centre didn't have it... in fact there wasn't much of a selection in any of the places we tried which was disappointing.

We found something in the end however - a Kentia Palm (Howea is the latin name I think).

Here's a picture of the plant in situe:

View attachment 424

That palm is gorgeous. It looks great in your hall. I think you made a pretty good choice, even though you had to contend with a bad selection at the garden center. I'm a big fan of palms but all I have room for right now is a short little parlor palm.

My little guy resembles this one:

87a5c2b484fbcf2a7a867770d4ab31de.jpg

Reaction score
These are all some really pretty plants! My indoor plants are the lucky bamboo. It is really easy to care for, doesn't care if it gets sunlight or not and really only needs to be in a pot or cup with water. Lucky bamboo doesn't get huge and spread out, it grows mostly straight up with a little branch out. You can also get it in various shapes. Ours are just straight, but I have seen some really cool shaped ones!

I know they sell it in places like Home Depot. My mom had bought us a couple and as long as they have water, they are happy and perfect :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Remember if you don't have lots of space for it to grow out then go with vertical and light conditions will come into factor also .Remember to put some thing under it ,I had a friend who put a plant on her new wooden floors and 4 months later what a mess the floor was underneath it

Reaction score
Love the palm in the hall! I think you made a great choice. I'm searching for a Blushing Philodendron this afternoon, hoping Home Depot has one. I need some more green in the house!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Remember to put some thing under it ,I had a friend who put a plant on her new wooden floors and 4 months later what a mess the floor was underneath it

Yup, the plant pot is standing in a black pot - although they are both the same colour so it's difficult to tell from the photo! It seems to like the spot so far which is good news, and it has really brightened up our hall :)

Ask a Question