Need fertilizer suggestions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My in ground plants and perennials do fine without fertilizer.

However, I think my veggie garden and container plants could use better help. Our tomato harvest last year was disappointing. I've been using Dr Earth brand organic fertilizer, but I think I can get better yield. Recommendations please?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't know what is available in your area but Espoma is a really good veg. fertilizer. What I would do is go to a local nursery and talk to them. It seems like every region has different fertilizers. The one I use is Medina GrowNGreen.The thing about organic fertilizer is that, unlike chemicals, you use it on a regular basis. It is very hard to use too much at a time. I feed my vegs. every 2 weeks or so. Using it when fruit begins to set is also very important. Water soluble fertilizers are better used in containers rather than in the ground because it doesn't last as long as the pelleted dry fertilizer and leaches through the soil easier. If you want to use liquid make your own via compost tea. I do both. I water with compost tea. About 1 quart per tomato or pepper plant when the plant needs water. Pour it around the base of the plant and finish watering.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I will check at Wojos, my favorite local garden center. I was just there yesterday but forgot to check out their fertilizers. I was watering with the Dr Earth compost tea, but probably not often enough.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I was using fish and blood meal to condition straw bales for planting. Does that have enough to use as a standalone fertilizer in the ground?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Blood meal is 12-0-0 but it is fast release. Bone meal is 3.5-17-0 and is slow release. Dried ground fish 5-5-6 and slow release. If all three were mixed together it would be great but it would cost a fortune. I don't know about the trace minerals in them, no data.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks Chuck. I've got a few weeks before I can put anything in the ground.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Does the NPK on organic fertilizers? They say you should use low N and high P and K. My organic fertilizer has low of each. Will that effect fruit growth?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Does the NPK on organic fertilizers? They say you should use low N and high P and K. My organic fertilizer has low of each. Will that effect fruit growth?
Chemical fertilizers are mainly fast release unless stated as slow release. That means that as soon as you apply the stuff it starts breaking down into its useable components. This is why plants will be burned if too much is applied. Having said that, the NPK numbers are percentages. The higher number the more of N or P or K is incorporated into a given amount, another reason you can burn up your plants. A plant can only uptake X amount of NPK. Any more forced upon them and burning begins. The higher the number the more likely you will damage your plants. This is why one must follow the instructions as to the time to apply and amount of chemical fertilizers used. Organics are different. The ingredients are not oil based or man made. Organic fertilizers are all slow release except for bloodmeal (N=12) which means it takes longer for it to break down into its useable components. Almost impossible to burn your plants using it. But the main difference between the two is that chemical fertilizers do NOT feed the soil. They only feed the plant. Organics feed the soil and all of the lifeforms in the soil. If you use chemical fertilizers you may have better fruiting at first but in the long term chemical fertilizers deplete the soil until you have to use more and more of it to obtain the same results. It is the opposite of organic fertilizer. It starts building up the soil at the first application. The NPK low numbers are then irrelevant because if you have healthy soil you will have healthy plants. You asked about fruit growth and low NPK numbers, Basically N is for foliage, P is for blooming and flowering and K is for growth regulation and root building. In other words when you are using organics you are supplying all that the plants need. You might need to use more at first depending on the soil quality but you will not hurt your plants by doing so.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dont over fertilise ......you could end up with lots of foliage and little fruit :(
Blood fish and bone is excellent for all food crops.
I would simply add sprays of seaweed and epsom salts. Alternate weekly. These add a nutrition tonic without force feeding :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Chemical fertilizers are mainly fast release unless stated as slow release. That means that as soon as you apply the stuff it starts breaking down into its useable components. This is why plants will be burned if too much is applied. Having said that, the NPK numbers are percentages. The higher number the more of N or P or K is incorporated into a given amount, another reason you can burn up your plants. A plant can only uptake X amount of NPK. Any more forced upon them and burning begins. The higher the number the more likely you will damage your plants. This is why one must follow the instructions as to the time to apply and amount of chemical fertilizers used. Organics are different. The ingredients are not oil based or man made. Organic fertilizers are all slow release except for bloodmeal (N=12) which means it takes longer for it to break down into its useable components. Almost impossible to burn your plants using it. But the main difference between the two is that chemical fertilizers do NOT feed the soil. They only feed the plant. Organics feed the soil and all of the lifeforms in the soil. If you use chemical fertilizers you may have better fruiting at first but in the long term chemical fertilizers deplete the soil until you have to use more and more of it to obtain the same results. It is the opposite of organic fertilizer. It starts building up the soil at the first application. The NPK low numbers are then irrelevant because if you have healthy soil you will have healthy plants. You asked about fruit growth and low NPK numbers, Basically N is for foliage, P is for blooming and flowering and K is for growth regulation and root building. In other words when you are using organics you are supplying all that the plants need. You might need to use more at first depending on the soil quality but you will not hurt your plants by doing so.

Agree (y), Organic fertilizer feed both plant and soil( annelid to microscopic organisms) , improve soil texture.

But synthetic fertilizer throw the overall balanced stuff out of the window.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all I'm needing some information I'm wanting to grow some neem trees and eucalyptus trees and I'll I need some suggestions on how to fertilize for trees

Ask a Question