Need suggestions for garden

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a very large backyard, and the dogs are the only ones who appreciate it.

tumblr_ngr4beMd1D1r10731o1_1280.jpg

Apologies for the awful quality. I didn't feel like going outside to take a picture. And if I did that the dogs would want to go out with me...

Here's a diagram I made to give you a better understanding of how large the yard is
tumblr_ngr4azmcGU1r10731o1_1280.png

As you can see, I'm well endowed with a large yard. I feel like it could serve a more useful purpose than an extravagant dog outhouse.

I live in central Illinois, so I experience all types of weather. Unbelievably hot summer days, impossibly cold winters, tornadoes, flash floods, etc. Save for hurricanes and dust storms, it happens.

I know absolutely nothing about gardening, but I want to start somewhere. I'm looking for someone who knows a lot more than I do to tell me where I should start, considering my lack of experience and regional climate conditions.

I also might be moving into an apartment soon, so I probably wont be able to tend to the garden every day, so that might be important information as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a very large backyard, and the dogs are the only ones who appreciate it.

tumblr_ngr4beMd1D1r10731o1_1280.jpg

Apologies for the awful quality. I didn't feel like going outside to take a picture. And if I did that the dogs would want to go out with me...

Here's a diagram I made to give you a better understanding of how large the yard is
tumblr_ngr4azmcGU1r10731o1_1280.png

As you can see, I'm well endowed with a large yard. I feel like it could serve a more useful purpose than an extravagant dog outhouse.

I live in central Illinois, so I experience all types of weather. Unbelievably hot summer days, impossibly cold winters, tornadoes, flash floods, etc. Save for hurricanes and dust storms, it happens.

I know absolutely nothing about gardening, but I want to start somewhere. I'm looking for someone who knows a lot more than I do to tell me where I should start, considering my lack of experience and regional climate conditions.

I also might be moving into an apartment soon, so I probably wont be able to tend to the garden every day, so that might be important information as well.
Start off small, learn your climate and only grow what is recommended for your area. Start with a fence to keep out the dogs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I would start by fencing off one side of the yard or the other off the sun porch.
That would give you a good starting place that you should be able to manage .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Start off small, learn your climate and only grow what is recommended for your area. Start with a fence to keep out the dogs

Any sources in particular you recommend or should I just reference whatever google throws at me?

I would start by fencing off one side of the yard or the other off the sun porch.
That would give you a good starting place that you should be able to manage .

Unfortunately the other side of the sun room is a concrete patio. What you see in the picture is really all I've got to work with. I was thinking near the shed would be a good place.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
What kind of garden do you want--vegetable, flower, herb? If you want vegetable or herb, or both, next to the shed would be a great place. The tools would be close at hand, and the shed would also be a good place to stash bags of composted manure, mulch, etc.
As suggested, fence it off so the dogs don't think it's a play yard, then have the soil tested by your local agricultural extension agent if you have one (which may cost a few dollars, but will save you lots by not investing in unneeded amendments.) Start a compost pile. Kill off any grass by covering the garden area with wet newspapers or cardboard and grass clippings, old hay, whatever is cheap and to hand, and start reading seed catalogs.
How many days a week would you be able to visit the garden and work in it, if you move to an apartment? What you plant will depend on how much time you can devote to watering, weeding, and harvesting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Any sources in particular you recommend or should I just reference whatever google throws at me?

Unfortunately the other side of the sun room is a concrete patio. What you see in the picture is really all I've got to work with. I was thinking near the shed would be a good place.
If it were me just starting out I would go to local nurserys and garden clubs. Find the best places to obtain knowledge. I think it would be a big mistake to go out, rent a tiller and dig the place up without fully understanding what you are attempting. If you want a vegetable garden one of the first things you will have to determine is what kind of grass you have and how to get rid of it, that is if you want a standard type garden. It is too late in the year to start the actual building process. Use these frozen winter months to figure out what works and doesn't work in your area and the best place to find out is from fellow gardeners

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Well, first you should look into native plants as they will grow best in your area. You'll also want to watch the movement of teh sun across your yard at various times of day.

Do any of your friends have gardens? Do you like what they are growing? They might be willing to help you get started with plants or cuttings. The next thing I'd suggest is joining a local garden club. I'm in a plant swapping group on FB and people are always offering up plants, seeds, or cuttings.

Unless you plan to do some urban farming, skip the tiller. Just put in a border of raised beds around the sides of the yard - you'll need to protect your plants from the dogs anyway (do they like to dig?). Raised beds also solves the problem of what type of soil you many have.

Ask a Question