Need help with my soil

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone I jad this soil for 3 going on 4 years I had this issue for a bit but it's not lose and I want to fix it it compacts to much and I'm done I need to fix it any advice I was thinking sand or something please help

Reaction score
Country
Australia
As a general rule everyone adds organic matter - humus, compost and manures. Sand and sandy loam are used less now than they were once because compost has become cheaper and better.
To get more specific advice you need to show photos and give a better idea of what you are going to do with the soil and how big an area we are talking about.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'll get a video tomorrow of my soil not sure how long a video you can post on here but I'll get a video up tomorrow after work or the morning before I leave for work

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
As a general rule everyone adds organic matter - humus, compost and manures.
I don't know about everyone, but I would add cover crops to your list...the single most powerful soil refurbishment tool that we have available as gardeners.

Do a search on here and you will find a lot of info on using cover crops to replenish soil. I have several posted myself, too many to list.

I like to apply using "chop and drop" and/or turning it under as green manure. It is invaluable in producing a soil test that states the recommendation as "No N, P, K required."

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A cover crop will add organic matter and is an excellent tool (I use it too) but takes longer to "soften" the soil than adding compost or even mulch. Mulch will tie up some nitrogen to break it down so compost is better but more expensive if you buy it. Cheapest option is using a cover crop. The sun hemp you used seems to come to mind for a load of organic matter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
OK does it take to keep my soil alive ice had this soil for roughly 4 years because I was growing in doors for a bit but now I want to try outdoors but it's another ball game in my opinion so I decided to join a forum I feel if I tackle outdoors should get me better at indoor growing as well

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Indoor plants typically use potting mix and outdoors is soil. Yes two totally different medias and two different climates. Fungus, bacteria, and virus are the major problems I face, not nutrients or environmental conditions. I guess critters could be a close second.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Green manure is the cheapest way of keeping your soil alive. If you're familiar with 'sprouts' or 'microgreens' those packets of mustard, mung beans and alfalfa can all be planted outdoors as green manure crops. You chop them off when they are 4" to 6" high, with a hoe and incorporate them into the soil by digging up about an inch of soil under them with the hoe at the same time.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Green manure is the cheapest way of keeping your soil alive. ...
I would go further and say...not only is it the cheapest way to replenish soil, but it is the most effective. It is absolutely magical what selected legumes, properly utilized, can do to depleted garden soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
But it does depend on whether you’re planting in pots, like inside, or planting in the ground. I’m not sure ‘cover crops’ really work in pots.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I haven't really planned it out right I have a 2x4 raise bed fabric pot and some wood that I want to make bigger Raised bed I should've been better prepared

Ask a Question