Help Needed: Rescue Mission for a Dying Fig Tree!

Reaction score
Country
United States
My sister is a beginner in maintaining potted plants. She bought herself a fig tree, but unfortunately, it's starting to die, well, it's almost completely dead already 😫(I think). I don't have experience with this plant, so the only thing I could say is that maybe she overwatered it. She repotted it into a new pot with fresh soil, but no changes. Now she's trying to dry out the soil until the next watering, but I doubt it's going to fix the problem. Does anyone have any ideas on how to save it, and is it too late?"

Attachments

• IMG_3964.jpeg
    IMG_3964.jpeg
    145.6 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looks like the fig and the other plant was doing great up until some point that made the leaves wilt down. Whatever is wrong with one plant is wrong with the other.

Transplants shock maybe?

That fig looks like a cutting from a tree. Did it have a good root system?

The potting mix looks to be too dry from what I can tell. If it is, give it some water until the leaves perk up then sit the plants in more sunlight.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks like the fig and the other plant was doing great up until some point that made the leaves wilt down. Whatever is wrong with one plant is wrong with the other.

Transplants shock maybe?

That fig looks like a cutting from a tree. Did it have a good root system?

The potting mix looks to be too dry from what I can tell. If it is, give it some water until the leaves perk up then sit the plants in more sunlight.
The below is the picture of the tree when it started going downhill. You can see the roots getting out the pot and the brown edges. The pot was by the window so I’m guessing it had a lot of sun..

Attachments

• 72997228390__30604F60-7C1F-49E5-BF23-290F2808239A.jpeg
    72997228390__30604F60-7C1F-49E5-BF23-290F2808239A.jpeg
    197.8 KB · Views: 12

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
That plant (above) looks root bound.

When transplanted, was the plant fertilized at the same time? If so, with what and how much?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The fig plant looked rootbound as Meadowlark stated.

The pot it was put into should have been at least twice as big but I'm really not seeing a reason why half of the leaves went missing. Did you pinch them off or something?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The fig plant looked rootbound as Meadowlark stated.

The pot it was put into should have been at least twice as big but I'm really not seeing a reason why half of the leaves went missing. Did you pinch them off or something?
She told me that they fell off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm guessing transplant shock. About all you can do is fertilize and water and wait and see what happens to it. I would leave it in indirect sunlight untill it looks like it is going to perk up.

Ask a Question