Need help with my lawn

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. I'm a semi retired resident of South Florida and I have been trying to fix a weed problem in my backyard. I had a big rottweiler that left a lot of spots where grass died, and also have a big proliferation of weeds which are outgrowing the grass. So here I am to ask for help and knowledge from the gardening community.
My goal is to have a backyard with nice and healthy grass, no weeds, and hopefully a grass that will be healthy all year round.
I'm attaching photos of the two main weeds that are spread all over. So my questions are, 1-how can I get rid of those weeds (as in what products should I use etc), 2- what kind of grass would be best to have. And 3- how can I grow that grass from seeds instead of digging and replacing the current turf (as it's probably much more costly). As you can see in the photos there are areas where here is no grass or weed just sandy soil.
All your help and input is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20240127_140950.jpg
    20240127_140950.jpg
    560.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240127_140935.jpg
    20240127_140935.jpg
    567 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240127_140929.jpg
    20240127_140929.jpg
    490.5 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Lawn, because they're a monocrop is a money pit, if you want a "healthy lawn" full of grass. Personally, I'd be mixing those greens into my salad and leave the synthetic chemicals needed to kill them off and to grow and maintain a "healthy" lawn.

The two major plants (that you want to get rid of) I see there are Spanish Needle (Bidens alba) and Pink Wood Sorrel (Oxalis articulata).

They are edible, along with many other "weeds" and much more healthier than what is bought in stores where synthetic chemicals are used to grow them.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Assuming you aren't interested in eating your weeds, I'd suggest low mowing them and San Augustine sod plugs. It will choke out those weeds especially if you mow them low until the grass gets established. It's a low maintenance grass that does well in sandy soil and spreads very aggressively during growing season. Keep it watered and it will overtake most weeds. Most of the big box stores has the sod plugs and all you need is water and patience.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The Bidens is fairly easily controlled with a broadleaf weed control like Speedzone Southern. If you don’t currently have St Augustinegrass it won’t hurt the current lawn. Oxalis might take multiple applications to control. It won’t affect St Augustine that doesn’t get sprayed and only yellows what does get sprayed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The dog probably damages some areas of soil by peeing. You might want to dig out those area and replace the dirt, because dog urine will change the chemical composition of soil so that virtually nothing will grow there. According to Google, you can repair this soil by flushing it well with water and adding some gypsum.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! Dealing with weeds and promoting healthy grass in South Florida can be a bit challenging, but with the right approach, you can achieve your goals. Here are some recommendations:

1. Weed Control:
Identify the Weeds:
From the photos, it looks like you have some broadleaf weeds. Identifying them correctly will help you choose the right herbicide.
Selective Herbicides: Use a selective herbicide that targets broadleaf weeds but won't harm your desired grass. Products containing 2,4-D or dicamba are commonly effective. Maybe take with you some broadleaf weeds when you buy the herbicides?

2. Grass Selection:
St. Augustinegrass:
This grass variety is well-suited for South Florida's climate. It has good shade tolerance, grows well in sandy soils, and can thrive in the heat.
Bahia Grass: Another option known for its durability and resistance to pests. It establishes well from seed and can handle high temperatures.

3. Seeding Tips:
Soil Preparation:
Before seeding, prepare the soil by removing debris and adding organic matter. Rake the soil to create a smooth surface.
Choose the Right Seed: Select a high-quality grass seed that suits the conditions. St. Augustinegrass and Bahia grass are available in seed form.
Watering: Keep the seeded area consistently moist until the grass is established. This may require frequent, light watering.
Overseeding: To fill in bare spots, overseeding with grass seed can be effective. Ensure good seed-to-soil contact for optimal germination.

It might take some time for the grass to fully establish and outcompete weeds. Regular maintenance, including proper mowing and fertilization, will contribute to a healthier lawn.

If possible, consulting with a local lawn care professional like Advanced Pavers and Landscape can provide personalized advice based on your specific conditions. Best of luck with your backyard transformation!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The dog probably damages some areas of soil by peeing. You might want to dig out those area and replace the dirt, because dog urine will change the chemical composition of soil so that virtually nothing will grow there. According to Google, you can repair this soil by flushing it well with water and adding some gypsum.
No, no...just buy some Dog Rocks....No digging required and it's 100% natural:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Grass like St Aug that has stolons smothers the ground and weeds with it. Poisons have the ability to kill the weeds but then the runoff can sneak around to where you do not want it. Nothing is free...even if you use a herbicide then the weeds that show up are immune and tougher than what you have now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Edit: the premature edit cutoff bug got me.

TifLawn Burmuda is a seeded version of a high heat stoloniferous grass bred for lawn aesthetics. There is TifGreen, the smaller golf course size, TifLawn which is the medium and TifTuf and TifWay. TifTuf is for high traffic. Anyways these "Tif" names are from University of Georgia and they do the work in Tifton, GA so hence the name. They have had a great southeastern warm season hybrid effort over decades. Mostly burmuda which means seeds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
As most can discern from my comments, I'm not a fan of America's over 40-million acres of grass. However, I have noticed one thing as I look at people's lawns (serious post this time);)

Two grasses are very common down here (Florida), the St Augustine and Bermuda. I've noticed that St Augustine is a very thick grass that makes it very difficult for other plants to make it. However, Bermuda grass can make it, but it doesn't take over; however, it's obvious that you have a mix of St Augustine with a significant amount of Bermuda, but it can't take over.

When there's a tree or other structure in the area that provides shade, you see the Bermuda die out and the St Augustine to take over; the more shade the better the St Augustine overcomes the Bermuda.

However, if that tree is a Southern Magnolia, even the St Augustine dies out the closer it gets to the tree's trunk, because the Southern Magnolia has very shallow root system that spreads far and wide from the tree and not much can compete with that massive root system.

That's it, that's the extent of my knowledge on domestic grass, except that it's a total freakin' desert and supports nothing but pests and the reason why if you want a "healthy" grass lawn, you will spend a lot of money and time. I watched my neighbor attempt to make a golf course type yard with Bermuda grass and it looked pretty good after he was done, only to be invaded by countless weeds again, probably many from my yard:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
As most can discern from my comments, I'm not a fan of America's over 40-million acres of grass. However, I have noticed one thing as I look at people's lawns (serious post this time);)

Two grasses are very common down here (Florida), the St Augustine and Bermuda. I've noticed that St Augustine is a very thick grass that makes it very difficult for other plants to make it. However, Bermuda grass can make it, but it doesn't take over; however, it's obvious that you have a mix of St Augustine with a significant amount of Bermuda, but it can't take over.

When there's a tree or other structure in the area that provides shade, you see the Bermuda die out and the St Augustine to take over; the more shade the better the St Augustine overcomes the Bermuda.

However, if that tree is a Southern Magnolia, even the St Augustine dies out the closer it gets to the tree's trunk, because the Southern Magnolia has very shallow root system that spreads far and wide from the tree and not much can compete with that massive root system.

That's it, that's the extent of my knowledge on domestic grass, except that it's a total freakin' desert and supports nothing but pests and the reason why if you want a "healthy" grass lawn, you will spend a lot of money and time. I watched my neighbor attempt to make a golf course type yard with Bermuda grass and it looked pretty good after he was done, only to be invaded by countless weeds again, probably many from my yard:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
This pretty well describes my yard including the magnolia!

Reaction score
Country
India
Dealing with weeds can be a challenge, but I totally get your goal for a lush, weed-free lawn. For weed control, consider a selective herbicide targeting the specific weeds in your photos. As for grass, St. Augustine or Zoysia varieties tend to thrive in South Florida's climate.

For patchy areas, growing grass from seeds is a cost-effective option. Make sure to prep the soil by raking it and keeping it moist. Given your sandy soil, adding some creeping thyme around could be a nice touch—it's hardy and adds a pop of green.

Ask a Question