Need Help with Lawncare

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I need help with this issue I have with my lawn. I am going to take out these dead rose bushes. But what can i use to stop these vines from growing all around my yard? Its a huge infection of these vine plants and would like to know how to deal with them. I have a couple of pines trees in my back yard also just to let you know. Im new to this forum so if I have posted in the wrong section, I apologize.

Thanks for your time.

Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Firstly, if you decide to spray them, do not cut them first, as the surface area is what absorbs the brush killer and works down to the roots. You may also have to use a surfactant if the leaves are waxy. Soap would do. Some feel strongly about not using herbicides. The easiest way is to dig the roots out after cutting if that is the route you choose. Some vines are tenacious, and can grow from small bits left in soil. But even those succumb to a gardener with a bad attitude that knows leave feed roots and if they get cut often enough as they appear they will melt away as the roots slowly starve and have no energy to get through the off season.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Firstly, if you decide to spray them, do not cut them first, as the surface area is what absorbs the brush killer and works down to the roots. You may also have to use a surfactant if the leaves are waxy. Soap would do. Some feel strongly about not using herbicides. The easiest way is to dig the roots out after cutting if that is the route you choose.

Can you spray Brush killer around Pine Trees? Is there anything i could use on my grass to stop those vines from growing all the time?

Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Can you spray Brush killer around Pine Trees? Is there anything i could use on my grass to stop those vines from growing all the time?

Thanks
Products like glyophosate bind to soil quickly and are active on green wood. Exposed roots and so forth are a problem, but so is your concentration of solution. These are very powerful chemicals and more is less, since you are being highly focused by not spraying everything. You do not know how many square feet of water your sprayer puts out before it is empty. That means no matter what volume of chemistry you put in your mix, you have no idea whether it is too little, which harms little, or to much, which can cause much harm, such as your trees. All these things sink into the earth to some degree or another.

I could not answer your question about grass. The word grass is much too broad. When its nitty gritty time, plant names have to be used. Fescue, centipede, buffalo grass etc, as the chemical being discussed may kill one, or the other, or neither. So what kind of grass becomes the question, and it is likely you have 2 or 3 types actually

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If your pictures were a close up I could be positive of what the vine is but from what I can see I am fairly certain it is Virginia Creeper and if so it is easy to get rid of with no spraying. There is a product on the market called Cut Vine and Stump Killer. The active ingredient is Triclopyr. What you do is cut the vine very close to the ground and paint the stump with the chemical. It will not leach into the soil as it is absorbed into the roots of the vine and never even touches the soil or surrounding plants. Then all you have to do is remove the cut vines.
Ferti-lome, Bonide, GreenLight and other brands make the product so it is easy to find. Unlike glysophate only one application is required. It might take 2 or 3 sprayings with Roundup to completely kill the roots.

Ask a Question