flying pest in garden, need help!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently set up my spring garden and notice there a ton of flying insects in it now. We originally thought mosquitos but I think they are a bit larger. I got one today and took some pictures, as far as I can tell it may be a fungus gnat? It's been VERY rainy damp cool here in NY so it would make sense.

Need help identifying and eliminating.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Bit big for a fungus gnat too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If they aren't landing on your plants and chewing on them just ignore them. And try to keep them from between your teeth and out of your nose.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Can't fungus gnat larvae cause damage?
The larvae can cause, sometimes severe damage to seedlings and very young tender roots. The adults you see flying around are harmless. Fungus knats are normally an indoor pest. You can kill the eggs with a Neem Oil soil drench.

Reaction score
Country
United States
But won't the adults lay eggs in the soil? Which will create larvae, which can damage my young plants?

There is quite a lot of them swarming around, adults anyway.

Reaction score
Country
United States
They are not a fungus, rather they might be another insect. I remember the last rainy season, the garden of my sister was full of flowers along with different types of insects surrounded. She literally got fed up with spraying the pesticides to eradicate the pests but nothing helped. At last, she took some help from the professional pest control Sacramento CA and thus got free from pest issues.

Ask a Question