Kite flying

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Barbados
Kite flying is a popular pastime in my country at this time of year. It is mainly something that youngsters participate in. The high winds at this time make it ideal for kite flying. Sometimes there are even kite-flying competitions where different sizes and shapes of kites are flown, and then a winner is picked based on the originality, beauty, or size of the kite.

Does anyone else here have this kind of activity in your country at this season?

upload_2016-3-29_7-18-7.jpeg
upload_2016-3-29_7-18-27.jpeg
upload_2016-3-29_7-22-53.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
We have lots of kite flying too. Although it's mostly a past time for kids and on good windy days. We have no competitions like that. If you go by the coastal areas you will always see small groups of people sitting out and flying kites. I love seeing the various kinds. There was a dragon one! Its pretty nice to watch kids have fun with the kites in general.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
This time of year we also have kite flying competitions down on The Mall where all of the Monuments are and people are out looking at the Cherry Blossoms. Today would be a good day to fly a kite, it is windy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Kites remind me of childhood pastime memory with friends on the beach! Occasionally, I still see some flying their kites here in the summer, and it is very interesting to watch.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My children and I fly kites often. There are many kites stuck in the trees around our house.;) We like to experiment with making our own and using different things for the tail. We usually fly them on days with light wind. If it is too windy the kite breaks. If the lower wind is light, the upper winds will be blowing harder and pull the kite up high!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have not flown a kite in years, but we have the perfect weather for it in the fall and spring months. I live on the Pacific Coast and we get a lot of wind in this area. It seems like a lost pastime now with all if the electronic gadgets out there to keep kids busy. I feel inspired to buy one and fly it now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Barbados
It seems like a lost pastime now with all if the electronic gadgets out there to keep kids busy. I feel inspired to buy one and fly it now.

What you say here is quite true. The younger people are now more taken up with electronic gadgets than with outdoor activities, but we still see some of them flying kites around this time, a welcome change from all the technological stuff. I must say, though, that it is not nearly as popular as it was when I was growing up. Kite flying was something we always looked forward to. I cannot recall how many kites we had in all over the years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
love kites. but really cannot fly one. BUT ---do to my tall trees--I can tie one on a limb and have it drift around in the wind naturally. Last year I had this pretty butterfly one. this year I have a turtle to hang.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
If you want to have fun, take a few kites to a nursing home. Ask the activities director first, and if approved, several of the residents can go outside and fly the kites. Nothing is so cheering as a 90-year-old in a wheel chair, watching a kite soar. You'll have to get the kite up and going, then hand over the string, but believe me, any effort and small investment on your part is well worth the outcome!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Barbados
If you want to have fun, take a few kites to a nursing home. Ask the activities director first, and if approved, several of the residents can go outside and fly the kites. Nothing is so cheering as a 90-year-old in a wheel chair, watching a kite soar. You'll have to get the kite up and going, then hand over the string, but believe me, any effort and small investment on your part is well worth the outcome!

This sounds like a really good idea. Usually, one would think that kite-flying is for young people only, but handing a kite to an inbound 90-year-old to fly is a good way of giving them something fun to do. I don't know if anyone in my country has ever thought of doing anything like that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
They enjoy the balsa toy airplanes, too. The gentlemen especially like to throw the planes and watch them soar (or go nose-down in the ground--invest in several airplanes!). Of course, someone has to go fetch the planes and return them to the pilots. A fun way to get your exercise, and the balsa planes don't hurt when you get bonked with one--inadvertently, of course.

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Young people are encouraged to fly kites at the beach for fun. Everyone is always encouraged to participate and last month, there was actually kite flying competition in Dubai with lots of interested participants.

Ask a Question