Need help with a flower!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I saw this flower in a public garden near where I live and I really like it! Problem is, I have no idea what it is. I'd appreciate any help in identifying it you can give!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Looks like a white variety of Wood Squill (Scilla siberica), which is typically blue. It's can be a very aggressive plant. If you get it, just be sure to keep an eye on it. It took over the forest floor of this nature sanctuary near me, and while it definitely looks good, it took a lot of space away from native plants. I don't think they'll ever be able to get rid of it.
IMG_1545 copy3.jpg

A cool alternative is a native specie called Blue-eyed Grass. It's similar in size, and can come in shades of blue or white. It can easily grow from seed, and can self-seed, but also isn't very aggressive. It forms small clumps that bloom like crazy in mid-Spring. It's one of my favorite plants.

IMG_7388 copy2.jpg

IMG_9062 copy.jpg

IMG_9107 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks like a white variety of Wood Squill (Scilla siberica), which is typically blue. It's can be a very aggressive plant. If you get it, just be sure to keep an eye on it. It took over the forest floor of this nature sanctuary near me, and while it definitely looks good, it took a lot of space away from native plants. I don't think they'll ever be able to get rid of it.
View attachment 51888

A cool alternative is a native specie called Blue-eyed Grass. It's similar in size, and can come in shades of blue or white. It can easily grow from seed, and can self-seed, but also isn't very aggressive. It forms small clumps that bloom like crazy in mid-Spring. It's one of my favorite plants.

View attachment 51891
View attachment 51889
View attachment 51890
Thank you so much, the first one is the exact plant I saw! I wasn't planning on getting any, I was just interested in learning about the plant. Thank you again

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

This is Striped Squill (Puschkinia scilloides), in the Hyacinth family (Hyacinthaceae, alternatively placed as the Subfamily Scilloideae of Asparagaceae). It is native to the Caucasus Region, from eastern Anatolia to western Iran.

There is another Striped Squill (Scilla mischtschenkoana) from the same geographic region, with similar, blue-striped white tepals, but the structure and arrangement of the anther filaments is very different. A common cultivar is S. mischtschenkoana 'Tubergeniana'.

Ask a Question