Fiddle Leaf Fig, Root rot? (New member in need of emergency help!)

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Certainly! Here's your text with corrected spelling errors:

---

Hi,

I need some help with my 4-year-old fiddle leaf fig.

I'm new here, and there is probably already a thread about this, but I can't really navigate here yet. So, I'll make a new thread since I feel like I'm running out of time :(

Last week I noticed some brown spots on the leaves, and during the last 5 days, it lost 3 leaves.

The last leaf fell this morning.

Also, it started to grow some new leaves last week, but now the top new leaf is decaying, going from bright green to brown and dead in just a few days.

I water it maybe once every two to three weeks, but the last two weeks I might have watered it once a week...
And right now in Sweden, it's wintertime, and the sun is only up for like 4 hours.
Everything points towards root rot, but I'm not too familiar with this and would like some help on how I might be able to save the plant.

The thing I struggle with is determining if the roots are rotting or if they are "older" and just a bit darker/brown for that reason.

They don't feel mushy, in my opinion, and they are not tearing. The thick roots in the middle are very dark and hard but more like solid "tree" roots, but maybe they are supposed to be white also?

What I've done so far this Sunday is:

- Bought a new pot + new dirt.

- Removed as much of the old dirt as possible and freed the roots.

- Let the roots be out in the air for like 1+ hour.

- Tried to spot rooting rots (this is where I struggle).

- Placed the plant in new dirt that was damp and not wet (less dirt than it sat in before).

- Topped up with some new fresh damp dirt.

- Added two 800 lumen growing lamps from IKEA timed to give the plant 7 hours of light a day.

- Added a moisture meter that sits at a level 5 atm.

I would really need some help in determining if the darker roots in the pictures are actually because of root rot or if they look fine?
And since it's the main thick roots that are dark, is the plant done for if I cut them off, or will it be able to survive on the small tiny ones?
Can I propagate it to give the plant a chance to regrow and survive, or is that also too late since the new leaf is wilting away?

Any tips will be helpful!

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0623.jpg
    IMG_0623.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0624.jpg
    IMG_0624.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0625.jpg
    IMG_0625.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0626.jpg
    IMG_0626.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8003.jpg
    IMG_8003.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8022.PNG
    IMG_8022.PNG
    767 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8028.jpg
    IMG_8028.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8029.jpg
    IMG_8029.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8031.jpg
    IMG_8031.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The roots look fine.
Now that you've done so much damage to the roots it will be awhile, probably months, for it to recover. Give it as much light as you can for as close to 12 hours a day as possible. Keep it just moist, allow the top inch to dry before watering again. When you water soak it through, allow water to run out the bottom but don't let it sit in the water.
The brown sheaths around the new leaves are normal and distinctive for Fiddle-leaf Figs.

Ask a Question