Need a cheaper insecticide

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've got some boxwoods I have to protect from miner bugs every spring, and right about now is time to do the annual insecticide drench, and lo and behold the stuff has doubled in price just like everything else. I'll include a pic of what I've used up til now. It used to be a concentrate that you watered down and applied, but now the new and improved version is undiluted and very $$. The main ingredient is 1.47% imidacloprid after it's diluted.

Any suggestions for a cheaper insecticide alternative with the same active ingredient?

Thanks!

compare-n-save.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've got some boxwoods I have to protect from miner bugs every spring, and right about now is time to do the annual insecticide drench, and lo and behold the stuff has doubled in price just like everything else. I'll include a pic of what I've used up til now. It used to be a concentrate that you watered down and applied, but now the new and improved version is undiluted and very $$. The main ingredient is 1.47% imidacloprid after it's diluted.

Any suggestions for a cheaper insecticide alternative with the same active ingredient?

Thanks!

View attachment 94398
There are other insecticides with the active ingredient imidacloprid that may be less expensive than the product you have been using. Here are a few options:

• Bayer Advanced Tree and Shrub Protect and Feed: This product contains 1.47% imidacloprid and is designed for use on trees, shrubs, and other ornamental plants. It comes in a concentrate that can be mixed with water and applied as a drench or spray.
  • Bonide Systemic Insect Control: This product also contains 1.47% imidacloprid and is designed for use on a variety of plants, including boxwoods. It comes in a concentrate that can be mixed with water and applied as a drench or spray.
  • Compare-N-Save Systemic Tree and Shrub Insect Drench: This product contains 1.47% imidacloprid and is designed for use on trees, shrubs, and other ornamental plants. It comes in a concentrate that can be mixed with water and applied as a drench.
It's important to always read and follow the label instructions carefully when using any insecticide product, including those with imidacloprid. Additionally, consider using other integrated pest management techniques to help reduce the need for insecticides, such as pruning affected branches or using physical barriers to prevent insects from accessing your plants.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question