Need help pruning this fig bush

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This fig bush is over 5 yrs old, having inherited it when we moved in. I'm in Southeast Coastal Georgia and I'm not sure how to prune the bush. I've taken a bunch of pictures which, with my amateur photo skills, I hope give a good enough picture to see the best way to prune it. It has fruited in the past, although last year there where only a few figs on it. I would be grateful for any help to best take care of this bush.
fig I.JPG
fig II.JPG
fig III.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Figs are generally easy to grow and care for, and they can be pruned in different ways depending on the desired shape and size of the bush. Here are some general tips for pruning fig bushes:

Prune in late winter or early spring before new growth appears. This is the best time to remove any dead, diseased, or damaged wood.

Remove any suckers that grow from the base of the plant or from the roots. These are shoots that grow from the roots of the plant and can take away nutrients from the main plant.

Thin out any branches that are crossing or rubbing against each other. This will prevent damage and improve air circulation within the bush.

Prune back any branches that are growing too tall or out of the desired shape. You can prune back to a bud or a side branch to encourage new growth in the desired direction.

If you want to encourage more fruiting, prune back the tips of the branches in the winter or early spring. This will encourage new shoots and more fruiting wood.

Remember that fig bushes are often forgiving and can handle a lot of pruning. However, it's best to avoid drastic pruning during the growing season, as this can reduce fruit production. With some regular maintenance and care, your fig bush should continue to produce fruit for years to come.

For more info check this resource
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/BrainyGardener
Youtube Channel Link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxa4UIO3rUGBsPhTpd0_vvQ?sub_confirmation=1

This fig bush is over 5 yrs old, having inherited it when we moved in. I'm in Southeast Coastal Georgia and I'm not sure how to prune the bush. I've taken a bunch of pictures which, with my amateur photo skills, I hope give a good enough picture to see the best way to prune it. It has fruited in the past, although last year there where only a few figs on it. I would be grateful for any help to best take care of this bush.View attachment 94319View attachment 94320View attachment 94321

Ask a Question