My Poor Echium

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
:confused: A branch from the neighbors tree came down and squashed my beautiful echium. I'd gone down with written instructions
image.jpg
on how to prune it and it had lots of lovely new growth. It was going to look so nice, a really spectacular blaze of purple. I'm really disappointed. The fence is a bit wrecked but that's insignificant to me. I now wish I'd taken a photo of it last year. But as my friends grand son says "It's not the end of the world is it Grandma? " and she answers "No Charlie, it's not the end of the world".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, that's such a shame DeborahJane! Are the stems broken? May be it's possible to stake them until they recover?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Well and truly broken I'm afraid Sheal. :(There appears to be one lone spike which you can just make out to left of centre. I don't know how that will look on its own. Bit lonely or maybe defiant! :mad:Our neighbour is clearing the branch tomorrow, with my help of course so I guess I'll see then if it's worth keeping.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
If I had that lone spike I'd guard it with my life! Hopefully it'll send up some new shoots and eventually make a full recovery. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Oh no, this is such a pity:( I can imagine how you feel, DeborahJane:( But one lone spike is still better than nothing. I hope it will send up a lot of new shoots!

Reaction score
Oh Deb, I'm so sorry for you. I hate it when this kind of things happen, but sometimes the worst case scenario takes places. It's such a shame that branch fell on it and squished it! But you haven't seen how damaged it is yet, so maybe there still is hope? :) I hope you get good news once that branch is removed!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looked like a disaster, and poor Echium! With your caring, I am sure you will rectify the plant and nurse it back to its glory. Finger crossed for you :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
But as my friends grand son says "It's not the end of the world is it Grandma? " and she answers "No Charlie, it's not the end of the world".

Oh, my! But I must say this is one wise grandmother. Hoping the best for you and your Echium. Appears, you have many people rooting for you. Guess time will tell, the thing about plants is that they always tend to surprise us by springing back. So, I think, your plant will survive with a gusto! Of course, a little extra TLC is important.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Sheal, IcyBC, Trellum, Claudine, Pandora, thank you all so much. I knew you'd understand :(. It's really comforting to share with sympathetic ears isn't it? It is a great forum. And yes Pandora Carol is a very wise grandmother and friend.
The true damage was uncovered yesterday and yes I think there is hope it will survive and maybe take on a reasonable shape again one day with the extra TLC as you suggested. There is a large branch on the right laying down and with some help I'm going to try to stake it up. There are still new shoots but I'm wondering if I should trim it all back to make it lighter. Would appreciate any input on that please. This is stage 2. I will post stage 3 when staked.
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I think if you prune the larger one it will be left with no foliage and possibly give up. Let it recover and see if it produces any new shoots and then consider pruning. It's a good idea to stake the one on the right, it will give support while it re-settles it's roots. You could prune the tops/ends of branches out of this one and I would take the opportunity to see if you can get any cuttings to grow. I'd give them a good watering and then in a couple of weeks some food may be a good idea. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Thanks Sheal. The branch on the right is now propped up with a stake, the roots are exposed so tomorrow I'll cover them with potting mix and water in as you advised. I'll also look to see where it trim a tad as you suggest. I noticed it has actually propogated itself with a couple of new plants underneath. One is just visible centre right so I may move those into the "gaping chasm".:LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks Sheal. The branch on the right is now propped up with a stake, the roots are exposed so tomorrow I'll cover them with potting mix and water in as you advised. I'll also look to see where it trim a tad as you suggest. I noticed it has actually propogated itself with a couple of new plants underneath. One is just visible centre right so I may move those into the "gaping chasm".:LOL:

Do continue to keep us informed on your your Echium! How relieved and excited you must feel by seeing it propagate! Plants have a way of surprising us with their strength and determination to survive! Of course, a little extra tender loving care never hurts. It is also good that the fallen tree is now off your Echium. This way some sun can get in there and let nature do its work, too. Oh yeah, yes to the extra support, too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Do continue to keep us informed on your your Echium! How relieved and excited you must feel by seeing it propagate! Plants have a way of surprising us with their strength and determination to survive! Of course, a little extra tender loving care never hurts. It is also good that the fallen tree is now off your Echium. This way some sun can get in there and let nature do its work, too. Oh yeah, yes to the extra support, too.
Thanks for the encouragement Pandora I'd love to share my echium saga, hopefully with a happy ending....not that there are endings with gardening I've learnt. Always a work in progress

Ask a Question