Growing Papaya & Mission Olive in Zone 8b (Southeast U.S)

Reaction score
Country
United States
The local Walmart's in my area have started selling papaya and olive trees, which I had never seen before. I thought it was pretty interesting so I bought one of each. The papaya is already around 2-3' tall and the Mission Olive is around that same height.

I have experience growing hardy palms and veggies in my area but these two trees are a first.

Where I'm at we usually experience our first frost of the year around mid-late November. What can I realistically expect growth-wise out of the papaya? I'm planning on winterizing the olive but not the papaya. Is there any chance to get fruit out of before November?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Just how cold does it get where you are? Olives can take temps in the mid- to low 20s without protection. Older ones are hardiest.
Papayas are way more tender. You probably won't get any fruit this year.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just how cold does it get where you are? Olives can take temps in the mid- to low 20s without protection. Older ones are hardiest.
Papayas are way more tender. You probably won't get any fruit this year.

Coldest for 2024: 11 degrees on one night. This is pretty rare. Other than that one night there were a few other nights with lows in the upper 20's.

Coldest for 2023: 28 degrees on one night. Most other nights the lows were in the mid-30's to mid-40's range.

The lows for 2023 are much more typical of an average winter here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Fairly close to here, except for the 11*. That would have killed it, but if that's really unusual you could grow it unprotected.
The papaya wouldn't stand a chance. It would need a couple of years to get big enough.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Fairly close to here, except for the 11*. That would have killed it, but if that's really unusual you could grow it unprotected.
The papaya wouldn't stand a chance. It would need a couple of years to get big enough.
Yea I'll definitely be wintering the olive just in case, at least on sub-32 nights.

As for the Papaya I'm planning on using an old portable greenhouse I don't use anymore over winter. Our winter highs are usually 55-70 so I'm hoping using the greenhouse plus winterizing it will keep it from dying.

I attached a pic of it, it was already decently big 2 weeks ago when I bought it and has since grown a little more. I'm hoping it gets to a good size before late October.

It's a little difficult to tell from the pic but it's already just under 3' tall.

Attachments

• Image (2).jpg
    Image (2).jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 1
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You could put 1 gallon milk bottles full of water in the greenhouse to absorb and release warmth on cold nights. Or run an extension cord with a small lamp that has a nighttime reptile heat lamp bulb. I did that with a small greenhouse here and it worked to keep some tender things going through the winter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You could put 1 gallon milk bottles full of water in the greenhouse to absorb and release warmth on cold nights. Or run an extension cord with a small lamp that has a nighttime reptile heat lamp bulb. I did that with a small greenhouse here and it worked to keep some tender things going through the winter.
That's a good idea, I've never heard of doing that

Ask a Question