none of my papaya are growing expect for one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So i've germinated Papaya seeds, maybe about 20-30 of them, maybe about 80% of them started germinating. I've planted all of them, some outside, and some in pots, unfortunatly all of them died. I don't really know why it happened. My guess is because I took the seed pods off of them by hand while they were germinating in order to get them ready to grow sooner. One of the papaya seedlings still had the seed coating on them and I decided to leave it on and grow it in a pot, and surpisingy it is doing way better than the others as all of them have sort of wilted. Any way to revive them or should I expect my "healthy" papaya to start wilting also? I've been feeding it this nutrient water, its just a spray bottle with nutrient pelets disolved into it, i don't know if that is good or not.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Hmm, do you mean to say you are giving the papaya seedlings a water diluted with fertilizer? I'm not sure what that nutrient pellets are but seedlings tend to wilt with fertilizer. They are like babies being fed with solid food. I would suggest that you give your germinated papaya seeds plain water and give it enough sunlight but not too hot. Although the papaya is a tropical plant, germinated seeds would wilt under a hot sun.

PS. Even young trees less than 1 year old will not benefit from fertilizers unless they are already fruiting.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Patience should pay, just grow them naturally without attempting to remove the seedcoat since its a protective barrier against the elements and pests. Artificial fertilizer would be deleterious at this stage. Feed them with well rotten compost mixed with soil and some lime to reduce soil acidity for optimum nutrient uptake.

Ask a Question