Growing Grapes, Papaya, & Figs in zone 6 (VIDEO)

Reaction score
In the video provided I give you a tour of my mini gardens which are growing Peas, Swiss Chard, Cucumbers, Potatoes, and Tomatoes. Also I show you that the Grapes are finally filling out, and will be ready to harvest later in the year. I was worried that the grapes had been eaten by birds, since it looked like they had been stripped.
The Fig trees are finally setting leaves and making new branches. To my grateful surprise, when I added compost to the new Fig, I must have had a lot of Papaya seeds added to the soil. So, Papaya seedlings sprouted up. I will take up the seedlings to transfer them to pots, then keep them inside during the winter months.

Original post @
Growing Grapes, Papaya, & Figs in zone 6 (VIDEO)

-Cassie K

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I am no good in growing vegetables but quite successful when it comes to fruits. You have a lot to show. I am so tempted to try out planting vegetables again looking at all of what you have shown here. (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How wonderful to have so many different fruits in the garden! I love papaya and found them in the local market here! Though they were never ripe the when they sell them, so it is nothing compare to those that you will have in your garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Love your grapes, I'm on my third year of growing grapes, I didn't know you could grow Fig trees in zone 6b. I think I might like to try and grow one if I can find room for it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
How wonderful!:) I love fresh figs, they're super delicious! I wish I could grow them too. Thank you for sharing this video.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We just planted our grapes yesterday. It is a small vine in a plastic pot. Now it is in the planter box ready for growing although we still have to install a trellis for it to crawl. The seedlings vendor said it is a seedless grape vine so I hope he is true to his word.

Here is our grape vine...
IMG_4197 ubas.JPG

Reaction score
How wonderful to have so many different fruits in the garden! I love papaya and found them in the local market here! Though they were never ripe the when they sell them, so it is nothing compare to those that you will have in your garden.
I have no idea if these papayas will grow a big healthy tree or any fruits at all, but I figured it was worth trying since they came up from compost.
When buying papayas from the store, you have to wait till they get yellowish on the outside. Sometimes I wait till it gets a little mold on the outside--which tells me if it's really ripe and sweet :D

Reaction score
We just planted our grapes yesterday. It is a small vine in a plastic pot. Now it is in the planter box ready for growing although we still have to install a trellis for it to crawl. The seedlings vendor said it is a seedless grape vine so I hope he is true to his word.

Here is our grape vine...View attachment 7562
The grapes I am growing here are three years old. This year they are really putting off a lot of fruit. I think you harvest the grapes around October.

Reaction score
How wonderful!:) I love fresh figs, they're super delicious! I wish I could grow them too. Thank you for sharing this video.
The figs have been forming fruits for the last couple of days. I hope to finally eat fresh figs. I have an online friend that has found hundreds of fig trees growing in an abandoned field, and he said he would pick me some for free as long as I paid for shipping. Haha!

Reaction score
Love your grapes, I'm on my third year of growing grapes, I didn't know you could grow Fig trees in zone 6b. I think I might like to try and grow one if I can find room for it.
As I mentioned to Corzhens, the grapes I have are three years old too, and are really putting off many pods this year. Last years grape harvest was about 3 lbs and they tasted sour like jolly ranchers haha. I think I may have harvested them too soon, so I am waiting till October to harvest grapes as recommended.
The Chicago hardy figs are acclimated to zone 5. I also have a Brown Turkey fig variety which can be grown in zone 5. There are other fig tree varieties that grow in zone 6, such as Celeste, Osborn prolific, Blanch, Desert king, and verte. You can grow Celeste in zone 5 as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Cassie, What kind of grapes are you growing ? I'm growing Mars grape there a bit smaller than reg. grape, I have a purple and a white,there loaded this year so if the birds want some its OK by me. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
The grapes I am growing here are three years old. This year they are really putting off a lot of fruit. I think you harvest the grapes around October.

It's funny because your post makes me excited with our grape. And considering that we had just planted it, hahahaaa. Now our next action would be to have the trellis where the grapevine would crawl. And the trellis is made of steel bars so we have to order it from the iron works shop.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
The figs have been forming fruits for the last couple of days. I hope to finally eat fresh figs. I have an online friend that has found hundreds of fig trees growing in an abandoned field, and he said he would pick me some for free as long as I paid for shipping. Haha!
This sounds absolutely wonderful, your friend is very lucky:) I think I'd start jumping from joy if I found an abandoned field of fig trees:D Fresh figs are a delicious treat!

Ask a Question