My journey with Thyme

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
I must confess to be a fruit loving gardener. I love watching the fruits grow from its inception to its maturity. With that said I am looking at venturing in new horizons. Well, not that new, just want to put knowledge into practice. I have always wanted to have fresh herbs on hand. So, I thought of starting with thyme and mint. A few weeks ago, at the market the vendor who sold me the thyme ask me a rather surprising question."Will you be planting some of this thyme as well"? I was left to ponder this. So, I welcome you all on this journey as I attempt to grow thyme from the actual plant. I was thinking of putting the thyme plant in a pot of water to see if it will sprout roots. What you all think?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Pardon me for this sligh deviation. We used to have thyme but due to neglect, it perished. But our mint is alive and kicking so maybe it is okay for me to contribute about mint. It grows its branches up and there are branches that grow low that eventually kisses the ground. Those low lying branches would be developing roots and can be cut off from the mother plant. There you have that baby mint.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I started my chocolate mint using the cut branches a lady gave me, by putting them in water! The roots actually sprout and I had enough to send them to four of my sisters as well. I think mint and thyme are easy to grow, and you won't have much problem as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Putting it in water sounds like a great idea, you definitely should do it:)
I tried to grow thyme only once, in my previous apartment, but it died. I think it was too dark there.

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
@Becky, you had me cracking up there:ROFLMAO:.
So, the majority has spoken, I will put the thyme in a container with water and see how it goes. I think I will do the same with mint. I keep you all posted on both plants, and I will see how I can get pictures ..

Ask a Question