My Hostas 2015

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
You have a lovely woodland garden. You obviously have chosen nicely and they love where they are. My little woodland and hosta garden are taking off this year. My mini hostas are in pots to show them off and keep the slugs at bay. My Pandora's box was eaten to the ground by a slug. It is just now recovering. I love the variety of this species.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
about 20 years ago I gathered all the books I could from the library to learn about hostas, amazed by the variety, shape, height, with, leaf texture, color, flower color etc. Any plant in a garden is like decorating a room, each complements the other etc. So thus my choices in the area. The heavier leaf hosta does keep snails at bay I am told, however, I don't seem to have to worry too much about that. Slugs do show up once a while, I believe my toads take care of that issue. But if I see more than usual I like using the beer in the saucer method.
Thanks for your responds.

Good for you! You must have a lot of shade. We have a few varieties growing up here in Michigan; although, I have no idea of all of the names! One of my favorites is the one with the white edges that you posted, but with having so many varieties it is hard to choose! Thanks for sharing such lovely pictures!

100_7026-jpg.6237

You mention that you captured some of your larger plants, I must say must of ours are not near a big of a plant, yet, this season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
thanks. We do have shade. At one time we had to 22 180 foot tall trees in just the front yard alone. Two years ago we took down 4 in the front and 4 in the back due to the proximity to the house and already one limb crashed into a gutter etc. So now the front has a little more light. It is less leaves in the fall, not by much but any less helps. I pick my hostas by size needed and color in the location I am needed and how they will compliment surrounding plants. Also my house is blue, so it was a easy call to put a few blue near the house in the front. Yellow is lovely too as a partner to the blues,, both together works. And then there is the height, I have one, that grows in a vase shape, it stands as high as my hip, and folds out nicely, has a blue caste to it, the hydrangea when it blooms behind it does well with it.

Here is a shot from last year. soon to be again. It is what I see when I get out of my car.
100_5611.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
thanks. We do have shade. At one time we had to 22 180 foot tall trees in just the front yard alone. Two years ago we took down 4 in the front and 4 in the back due to the proximity to the house and already one limb crashed into a gutter etc. So now the front has a little more light. It is less leaves in the fall, not by much but any less helps. I pick my hostas by size needed and color in the location I am needed and how they will compliment surrounding plants. Also my house is blue, so it was a easy call to put a few blue near the house in the front. Yellow is lovely too as a partner to the blues,, both together works. And then there is the height, I have one, that grows in a vase shape, it stands as high as my hip, and folds out nicely, has a blue caste to it, the hydrangea when it blooms behind it does well with it.

Here is a shot from last year. soon to be again. It is what I see when I get out of my car. View attachment 6786

Oh, this is so exciting to meet someone who knows their Hosta's so well! When I figure out how to load pictures from my camera. I am having trouble getting my laptop to be compatible with the connection up here, sigh. I am going to post some of ours. If you would be so kind, maybe you could help me identify some of them! We do have a blue toned one, too. Your picture is so striking, such a lovely sight to get out of the car and see! We also have a Pink Annable called Spirit and a Limelight at my parents house up in Michigan. Interesting enough, or shall I say sad, never had much luck with the blue hydrangea. Not sure why? Oh yeah, coincidentally, my parents house in town in blue, too, but more of a turquoise. The farm house is a common white, lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Beautiful varieties of hostas! I love all the green look and they are so healthy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Oh, this is so exciting to meet someone who knows their Hosta's so well! When I figure out how to load pictures from my camera. I am having trouble getting my laptop to be compatible with the connection up here, sigh. I am going to post some of ours. If you would be so kind, maybe you could help me identify some of them! We do have a blue toned one, too. Your picture is so striking, such a lovely sight to get out of the car and see! We also have a Pink Annable called Spirit and a Limelight at my parents house up in Michigan. Interesting enough, or shall I say sad, never had much luck with the blue hydrangea. Not sure why? Oh yeah, coincidentally, my parents house in town in blue, too, but more of a turquoise. The farm house is a common white, lol.
I have 13 varieties of hydranges on the property. you can see many of them in my YouTube channel. Soon they will be blooming. They are budding up. I have one that is only 3 foot tall and one that reaches up to 15 feet trimmed like a mini tree. Have cone heads, mopheads, lacecap and balls. Red ones, white ones, pink to red, blue ones, cream ones.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks for letting me know Esther; much appreciated. (y) I'll have a browse shortly. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

What a lovely picture Esther; they sure look good. (y)

BOO HOO, yesterday in my quest to clear the mountain of the invading Cleavers; I was attacking them by ripping them out by hand and hoeing; I accidentally sliced the top completely off one of the six Hostas I had planted; after all the time and effort I put in clearing the ground and working in freezing conditions I go and do this. :(:(:(

Kind regards, Colin.

Ask a Question