Hostas w/ Elephant Ears?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I'm in zone 7b -- hot and humid North Mississippi near Memphis, TN. Earlier this summer, I built a small stone patio for my Adirondack chairs. This is a shady area between a live oak and a tall Sycamore. I transplanted moss between the stones. Moss grows naturally in this area. I'd like to plant hostas, ferns, coral bells, and/or elephant ears around the patio. Will the water requirements for elephant ears create root problems for the other plants? And can I start this garden in the fall or should I wait until next spring?

Attachments

• Stone Patio 1.JPG
    Stone Patio 1.JPG
    225.2 KB · Views: 272
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would wait. It's been such a wonky summer that I'd hate to have an early winter and kill all your plants off. I don't know if you have been getting as much rain and cruddy weather as we have been getting. I don't have the elephant ears so I don't know how out of control they will get, I have heard they can. Maybe do those in large pots around the patio?

Ask a Question