Bird Bath & Hostas

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have a small garden bed (3.5 feet x 3.5 feet) around a birdbath. I'm think about planting a few hostas in this bed. Should I be concerned about too much water dripping onto the leaves of the hostas -- from the birds bathing?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Most hostas like moist areas, don't think the water will cost them any harm. But never really tried my hands at hostas. No harm trying.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I'm thinking in terms of the hostas getting overhead water. I think hostas and hydrangeas suffer with disease when they get too much overhead watering.

You are right. Hostas can get a bad case of “ugly leaf” if they get wet when the sun is on them. I have no idea why but Ithink it is more the work of the sun than the water alone.

DM, I like the idea of ferns and Hostas together. A great pairing.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
If you google plants under bird bath - you can see a lot of lovely plants and you can see what takes your fancy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
One thing is interesting, that being how much moisture stay in the soil around stones and specifically masonary stones. My plants always survive dry periods in better form in those areas compared to more open areas, birdbath or not. We have some ringed with pavers and such.

Ask a Question