Black flies on young hostas

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have some lovely little miniature hostas quietly growing in small pots on my closed in back porch, I plan on planting them in the fall. I went to check on them today and found them covered in tiny black flies :eek:. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of these pesky little monsters and if they will damage the plant? We also sit out there and sometimes eat out there when the weather is pleasant, so that makes it even worse:sick:.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have some lovely little miniature hostas quietly growing in small pots on my closed in back porch, I plan on planting them in the fall. I went to check on them today and found them covered in tiny black flies :eek:. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of these pesky little monsters and if they will damage the plant? We also sit out there and sometimes eat out there when the weather is pleasant, so that makes it even worse:sick:.
Pictures of the little flies would be a big help. They could be one of a bunch of different insects.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you, Chuck, I'll try and get some pics tomorrow, but it's very difficult and frustrating cause they're so tiny. :mad:

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, it's impossible for me to get pics because they're so tiny, but I'm pretty sure they're gnats. Esther, I followed your advice and gave them a good soaking with the solution. I remember when we were kids, my grandmother used to throw coffee grinds, used tea bags, and used dish water, of all things, on her roses, and she had some of the most beautiful rose bushes I have ever seen. So I figured this method would be worth a try. I will check them tomorrow to make sure the little buggers haven't returned. ☺️

Ask a Question