• mid may update 003.JPG
    mid may update 003.JPG
    235.3 KB · Views: 204
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
my cucumber and watermelon are starting to grow a little. i think i need to change the emitters on the melons to one that is less. the soil is always moist even at the end of the day in the desert. they are at the bottom of the yard and the lines drain to them even after the water has turned off. i gave the plants a little tug and the plants seems rooted well, so maybe its time for them to put their energy to growing out. i'll post an update.

001.JPG
002.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Nice! By emitters do you mean soaker hoses, or something underground?
Those babies have tons of room to grow, that's cool.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Nice! By emitters do you mean soaker hoses, or something underground?
Those babies have tons of room to grow, that's cool.

drip irrigation. i put 0.5 gpm emitters(see pic below). it rained real good here on Monday so i turned them off for a couple of days. my tomatoes look sad since i just watered good before the rain. now they are soaked and saggy, but still growing and making suckers. next watering, i will be making a compost tea to bring some love to the soil.

Untitled.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
i thought i would share some updated photos. all seems to be going well, but i have no last year to compare to :(. we received some rain in the desert lately, right after i watered :mad:. the rain came down in buckets at my house, and sprinkles at my friends a mile away across the main drag :confused:. the tomatoes didn't like all the water. everything else brushed off the water and asked for more a couple of days after. the melon plants are starting to take off but no fruit, only flowers. my first female squash blossom has formed, but not opened yet(that i have seen). i watered with compost tea(boogie brew) this morning. i hope they like it. i have read good things about compost teas.

first boogie brew 001.JPG first boogie brew 002.JPG first boogie brew 003.JPG first boogie brew 004.JPG first boogie brew 005.JPG first boogie brew 006.JPG first boogie brew 007.JPG first boogie brew 010.JPG first boogie brew 011.JPG first boogie brew 012.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Tomatoes are water hogs, you should water them slowly so the water can soak deep into the soil.

Oh and tomato's can get really tall..these are over 8 feet tall

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Tomatoes are water hogs, you should water them slowly so the water can soak deep into the soil.

Oh and tomato's can get really tall..these are over 8 feet tall

them are some wonderful looking tomato plants. if i get mine to grow that tall my first season, i will do a bodybuilder flex next to my plants and post it. don't hold your breath though, :p. maybe next season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
them are some wonderful looking tomato plants. if i get mine to grow that tall my first season, i will do a bodybuilder flex next to my plants and post it. don't hold your breath though, :p. maybe next season.

LOL you might be surprised!
Love the melon and cukes in their rock bed. You won't get bothered by slugs, I'm guessing.

Reaction score
I was so excited when I started and grew my first garden. I mean I just thought knew that I had done something big. I learned a lot about gardening. Most of all I learned that it really does not take a lot to grow a garden. I mean I am even wondering why more people don't do it. Gardening saves money and helps us eat better.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
You did a good job! I'm a bit jealous but that is good because it has motivated me to make mine better.

Ask a Question