Mulch

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
any mulch is toxic as they treat it before selling it and most yards will tell you that or have a sign posted .Mine has a sign and it is on your bill also toxic to all animals and do not use near or where pets are contained .Most states to do not require mulch yards to post that info but in Pittsylvania county they make them post it at the gate and near the mulch and in the office where you pay .But most animals only dig in it but even that is not good or they lay in it .They treat all mulch even pine needles .But funny thing is cocoa mulch they do not treat because it is said to be a naturally bug resistant .Not sure why as you would think chocolate would bring bugs but cocoa in natural form is very bitter and taste terrible .Just get unsweeten chocolate .yuk

Reaction score
Good to know. I just mulch in the front yard. In the back yard is useless with the dogs. My Rott will take my firewood out of the rack and chew it. He chews on anything wood.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My mulch is all up hill from the pond, so far no issues. Maybe they don't treat it here, I will ask them. They make their own, you can see their mulching yard.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
the only kind of mulch you can buy if you have dogs is cedar or cypress that has been heat pasturized .A lot you bouy at lowes or home depot in plastic bags will say that .The rubber mulch I saw on the news where a whole playground burned to the ground in seconds because of rubber mulch and teens set it on fire .The treat it for bugs .they have too or the deseases you see in the forest would come to your yard with the bugs .

j.w

Reaction score
Well I guess ours is safe cuz we make it ourselves w/ the chipper. Good to know tho as some puppies like to chew on everything and some little kids too. I don't have either one of those items anymore tho.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The mulch I get is so hot it burns your hands if you stick them just under the surface of the pile, not sure how anything could live in there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
That just is the breakdown process and I saw a mulch pile here that caught fire during the summer .Just like those huge rolls of grasses they feed animals catch fire from inside out .I have even seen manure pile fires here

j.w

Reaction score
I've heard of that too sissy and our neighbors barn up the road caught on fire from his hay he had stored in there. I think he had some moisture in them and that helped to start the heat process and start them composting.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
yeh we get a lot of fires here because of it .The worst though is the manure fires .Marty had one at his farm across from my house and it stunk for days and i had to cover my pond right away with a tarp .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
no one would want smell O vision then lol :eek:.It lasted here for a week and everything outside had grime on it .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
we asked them, they don't treat the mulch, so treatment free. They have been in business for 30 plus years.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
the major problem in non treated is termites .I never put mulch near my house

Ask a Question