Mulch

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
my mulch is all away from the house by at least 20 feet, mainly on the slopes, back yard garden. I don't think even termites could live in that heat when it is curing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Because of the mild winter they have warnings here to make sure you treat for them .They even are telling you to treat even more for all kinds of ants .I treated everything here .The reason termites are worse here is because of the forresters cutting and leaving all the stuff they don't want laying out in the cut down areas to rot and get termites .So far spring is here and forresters are out cutting again .You can here there machines they use to cut down the trees .Interesting to watch the machines they use now .The machine drives up to the tree cuts it turns it side ways and puts it through the debarker and loads it onto the log truck and the bark goes into the mulch truck .The mulch goes to the yard and is sprayed .We can go to Max Kendall lumber yard here and get mulch for 5 dollars a load .Which is 2 yards a scoop .I watched how they treat it there with the stuff that kills any bugs in it .They told me they are using a much safer chemical to treat but still by law here that they have to warn people any way .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ouch! I thought 15 was high, I buy the cheapest, double ground mulch, but it stays in place well on my slopes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
same thing i buy double ground except for the hilly parts I use the rough mulch so it stays in place

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I was reading about mulch and how ground and double ground loses it's color faster and found that you can buy dye for mulch again .Funny thing is years ago when Rickles Hardware was still in business in NJ you could buy it there and now you can't seem to find it anymore .I had to go online to find it.All you do is put it in a sprayer and done .

Reaction score
What do you guys think about recycled rubber mulch ? I just saw that. Mainly for decoritive purposes. But if I wanted flowers, would I put down plastic, then soil on top, then mulch ? I'm afraid of real mulch around the house, because I've had termite trouble before.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I saw on the news how a whole playground for kids burnt to the ground when the rubber mulch was set on fire it went up in a matter of minutes .Have you ever smelled it on a hot day stinky is a nice word for the smell

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Make it a rock garden, crushed granite, pea gravel stones etc. Then put plants in among the rocks. My arizona yard was all rocks, boulders and plants, it can look really nice.

Reaction score
I am not a fan of rubber mulch. It is too permanent as it won't break down and if you ever want to change the color you would have to rake it all up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is the one problem with a rock garden it is sort of there hard to change if you change your mind. But they can look great, less termite issues along a house.

Ask a Question