8a
Country
United States
So with the spring trimming done.....

20180216_110720.jpg
20180216_110826.jpg
20180216_110838.jpg
20180216_110745.jpg

Its at least 500 to fuel a 8hour use of a 12 inch chipper grinder. It occurs to me that the money would also buy commercial bagged black kow composted manure 50lbs x 100bags or compost of a similar volume. While I want to appreciate reuse of local materials, the primary contributution of stem wood is reported to be carbon dioxide, as it does not have the ratio of N to C that the smaller ramial twig wood has. So I am curious, what would you choose, have the city pickup the bulk for free and use the savings for purchasing bagged materials or spend the money and compost the chips from a 12" chipper?

Edit to say the hickory is destined for my smokers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
DM, for $500 you should be able to buy a descent used chipper. This will be smaller and definitely won't chop everything you have there but will make a good dent in it. When I trim I put all the trimmings out in the woods to rot and return to the ground.
As a side note, I have the same tree face and shepherds hook that you have. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
DM, for $500 you should be able to buy a descent used chipper. This will be smaller and definitely won't chop everything you have there but will make a good dent in it. When I trim I put all the trimmings out in the woods to rot and return to the ground.
As a side note, I have the same tree face and shepherds hook that you have. ;)

I have a 8hp 3 inch chipper already, and it is a good rig, but I literally have 7 other piles of firewood in addition to this new material. The chipper I want to rent is a 85 hp diesel 12 inch commercial rig.
20180205_135949.jpg

@LIcenter I can ask and advertise, but it will be 80 degrees Tuesday, so maybe the bonfire crowd would like it?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I’d go with the compost or whatever you believe gives you the biggest bang for your buck in the garden. I have a large chipper that attaches to our tractor that I use to mulch limbs (under 8” thick) but I strictly use the wood chips as weed mulch in between raised beds.

Ask a Question