Moving berry bushes

Reaction score
Country
United States
We are moving and need to move our berry bushes. Currents and a couple huge blueberry bushes. Hapsap maybe. Shaped like a bell. They are 8' around. I was thinking of cutting them back to 4' and digging the roots around the old drip line of the bushes. We have some currents that are getting big too. I would also like to propagate a bunch. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sounds like fun you want to get as much root as possible and then plenty of water when replanted.

Are you sure you can? I know when we sold our Farm we couldn't do anything with our Fruit.

But the guy that bought it cut it all down in front of us then went to work bragging about it.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes we're sure. The new owners, our daughter, is fine with it. She wants all lawn so would remove everything anyways.
Beautiful wife has lots of annuals she wants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have relocated rather large blueberry bushes with 100% survival. Get the biggest root ball you can dig out and plant as soon as possible. I would recommend this when it is not flowering. Yes cut them down somewhat as the roots will not support the amount of branches/leaves anymore.

MOD

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think a raised bed would be easier to contol the PH required to have them grow properly. Mine are in the highest spot of my garden. Every year some get nutruent defiencies becaus the PH is to high. I lay soil acidifier in the spring and sulfer here and there. PH is still high. I'm laying more sulfur this weekend if the PH is still high. I know it is because the leaves show it.

MOD

Reaction score
Country
United States
They just destroyed a Blueberry Farm by us that had been in business many years guess the New Owner has other ideas for the place.

Same as the Trailer Court across the road. New Owner had them all move out made it into a KOA. Then sold it. But that is the way with most around here. Bunch of Latinos came they was fixed up with housing and a Job. They left because it was just too hard around here.

I was told that Raised Beds were a no no for Blueberry and Asparagus.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
Our berry bushes are in the ground. I won't move until fall. And most importantly we will have the hole dug n preped so the roots stay. We have rabbits so will put compost in the hole. Top dressing.
This berry bushes went rogue. It's probably 10' across over 9' tall if it could support its weight. I need to put a post in the middle and try to seperate a bit. But reality is we're so swamped. I will get good netting around it soon. To keep the birds off. Curious to see what happens, I'll try n remember to get some pictures. A current bush next to it is doing big too. Over 6'.
Bunny manure helps plants grow. Again I will cut the top half off before moving. Cut the roots with a long shovel. I have a backhoe so probably use that to get under root ball. But last time I tried to do that I cut my beautiful wifes 9' tall rose, oops you'll have that eh.
Hey thanks a lot folks for all the support. Not just for me as I learn a lot from the threads. You all get a atta- boy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes I think mine are Root Bound. One almost died because of the drought.

Transplant dormant and take a few cuttings off one I like.

Transplant my Asparagus too. Thinking of putting Strawberries in that bed. Thinking of just going with everberring because they produce.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I got rid of all my ever bearing strawberries. They tend to be smaller but for me keeping them disease free all year round was an issue. Then not picking all of them all summer cause more issues.

I only do June bearing now. The raspberries and blackberries take over after the June bearing.

Maybe try both like I did. See what works best for you.

MOD

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got rid of all my ever bearing strawberries. They tend to be smaller but for me keeping them disease free all year round was an issue. Then not picking all of them all summer cause more issues.

I only do June bearing now. The raspberries and blackberries take over after the June bearing.

Maybe try both like I did. See what works best for you.

MOD
Might do this. Been kicking it all around.

Going to have twice as much Berries as before with all.

We really don't use that many.

Like my wife said we went fishing caught 4 messes of fish for us if couple young guys eat with us it is 1 mess.

big rockpile

Ask a Question