Moss water features

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I ran across this picture on the net. I had not thought of moss and a water feature being combined. I had been thinking of updating our front birdbath area. I would think the oxygenated water in this picture would be a component of success versus stagnant water. Is there a name for this type of incorporated design besides a pond?? The pic is actually a waterfall, something I would not really find feasible to leave on constantly. I am in an idea phase so just looking for front yard water hole ideas right now.
721f133.jpg

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm confused. You want to keep it as a birdbath, but incorporate other things? Or you are starting with a birdbath, and want something different?

What about a solar powered fountain kit? Looky here:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Yes. It needs to stay something of a wet area but now is just a birdbath with ferns and plants inside a random bricked circular planter.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That would be a lovely feature (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have to sell this to Becky. I am gonna have to do some homework. We have literally tons of firewood and more coming. Two large trees in the front
IMG_20190316_153701.jpg
of the house are failing and will come down within the year. I thought about a stump garden, or something to utilize that material so I do not have to move it too far. Perhaps she will find me thrifty?
IMG_20190316_153713.jpg

The oak leaning has suffered a fungal rot. Lots of rain off the house. It is not dead, just leaning on the lower tree. The crooked one higher is dead. I have left it for a bit because animals like to live in a hollowed tree, but unfortunately the prevailing wind hits the front of the house more or less from the driveway side. Maybe some wood instead of bricks in a some cool design would be a neat way to leave the materials to dissolve back on site?

The dead tree with squirrel out my living room window:
IMG_20190224_080742.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
As to carving, no. There is a fellow in town who has that covered and its not a good idea to try to out talent HIM

Not gonna do a pond. Across the street behind the other neighbor there is a actual creek of substantial size. I do not want to attract the copperhead snakes or any other problem neighbor with a similiar bad attitude. I have killed enough here already as few as that number is. Rotten wood for a deep shade garden with a few bird baths is enough. I though about a tier with maybe 3-5 bird bath type areas where the bottom bath has a float switch activating a fill from the top which will then spill downward until the float switch stops it. I have seen a swirl type feature with walls of brick. I think that realistically, I have enough wood to get up 18 inches over 1k square feet easy.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have no rules, but I can imagine hypertufa, rotting wood, bird baths and a larger size than normal all being components of this fantasy build.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hypertufa would be good, might incorporate some in the waterfall we're making, if we can get the pump to work without it tripping the electrics :rolleyes:

Ask a Question