Is hypnum moss destructive in any way??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I was at my local nursery today shopping for carnivorous plants. I saw a few pots with moss (I believe it's hypnum) layered on the top of the soil. The owner sold me a carton of "Moss Milkshake" to grow my own. Question is...is this moss destructive?

I would like to add the moss to my venus flytrap pots, my sundew (octopus plants) pots, and my peace lily pots. Maybe even my snake plant pots. And most likely to every plant pot I have since I have literally a milk carton full of the moss starter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I would think that since moss grows where other plants do not because of soil conditions, I am thinking the moss would be harmed by the soil in which the existing plants reside because it may be too rich or possibly a moderate ph for the moss to prosper. But I really do not know much about the protein eaters.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Don't know much about this moss, but reading this convinces me that it can't be destructive.

It was formerly used as a filling for pillows and mattresses; the association with sleep is the origin of the genus name Hypnum (from Greek Hypnos).

From Wiki - might be disinformation.

But moss just hold water very well. Good for hanging baskets, I suppose. I'm raking some in my garden and will use them in my compost. Can't see any harm. I'm thinking of growing sphagnum moss!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Wellp, the moss I saw was on the top soil of a pot of octopus plants. I thought it looked very nice and wanted to do the same to my plants. The octo plant has very obviously been sitting there for at least a month because the cardboard packaging insert was VERY faded and highly water damaged. A new package sitting next to it had bright colors and fresh cardboard. So I guess the older octo plant did not mind the moss at all.

I started looking for the octo plants because apparently they do not go dormant and are significantly easier to keep indoors. My venus flytraps that I got to catch gnats in my apartment...are hibernating...useless.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I guess octo plant should enjoy the moss, but as it is winter, best not to overwater, but keep moist. Winter - nothing much happening.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
venus flytrap & Carnivores Plants Love to Share a pot or natural Bog together with Moss. When I go out And Walk Up in Scotland & other places I see them Growing in with mosses all the time
461969949_46342e31a0_z.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
so, before i discovered the moss in the store w/ the octopus plants was, in fact, sphagnum.... i laid down hypnum moss all over my plants (top of the soil).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Could anyone identify what type of moss this is on the top soil? Densely packed and feels a lot like turf.

IMG-9030.JPG IMG-9033.JPG IMG-9034.JPG

Also... from another brand of sundew.

IMG-9035.JPG

Ask a Question