Moss water features

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hypertufa would be good, might incorporate some in the waterfall we're making, if we can get the pump to work without it tripping the electrics :rolleyes:
Double the high ambie temperature on the wire gauge amperage drop charts.

It does not look it, but there is a 1" irrigation line running through that area so I have a nice water source. If figure a 12v dc battery with a solar panel charger I could stash the panel somewhere, but I also have outside circuits I could run a flooded wire from that would get it done.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Double the high ambie temperature on the wire gauge amperage drop charts.

It does not look it, but there is a 1" irrigation line running through that area so I have a nice water source. If figure a 12v dc battery with a solar panel charger I could stash the panel somewhere, but I also have outside circuits I could run a flooded wire from that would get it done.
What???? DM, please could you explain that? I don't understand ambie temperature, and haven't got a squiggly what a wire gauge amperage drop chart is.............:shy:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
View attachment 50867 What???? DM, please could you explain that? I don't understand ambie temperature, and haven't got a squiggly what a wire gauge amperage drop chart is.............:shy:
Sorry ambient not ambie. The longer and\or hotter a wire is, the more resistance it has to flowing energy. There are common charts that help electricians "gauge" the wire size needs of a device at a distance at a temperature. Most times the temperature rise comes from the electricity itself, but attics and other locations, like outside on pavement, also cause a wire to get hot. A long run absorbs some electricity, which is expressed as heat. A hot wire is full of energy, and can hold a little less electricity as a result, and its resistance goes up as it gets hotter. The charts will say something like a 20 amp circuit at 33 meters needs 12 gauge or 10 gauge or 8 gauge wire. Thinner is cheaper which is the point of the chart as much as fire safety and the usual considerations are as well.

The important part is that whenever you figure your amperage needs on this pump or whatever else, let that only be 80% of the supply line capacity, for safety and longevity reasons.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well thank you very much for explaining that..... why don't you live next door? Just think, you could pop round and sort it out for us in no time :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Anyway IF we can get past what Chuck Norris taught me about girls, this thing in the front yard is going to happen because when those big trees come down they will save the terra cotta sewer line from being ripped up beneath them. It is entirely possible that the copper root clearing products we have used have caused this opportunity.

Or calamity..depends on the result I guess.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
DSC01516.JPG

Teasing ? Not worked .... we have loads of our own greenery (plus other colours) here in Costa Kent.

When those trees come down I think a largish expanse of water would be stunning. Once the initial dig is done, it could be added to whenever.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
View attachment 50881

Teasing ? Not worked .... we have loads of our own greenery (plus other colours) here in Costa Kent.

When those trees come down I think a largish expanse of water would be stunning. Once the initial dig is done, it could be added to whenever.....
I would love to load some water, but the sheer quantity of leaves coming down in the fall or otherwise would require an enclosed lake! I like a gazebo and you made me think of a gazebo that is open in the middle. Here is the back yard looking down in the area:
IMG_20190318_115303.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
So an elongated octogonal open roofed gazebo with a 5 bath bowl central moss feature where one could sit quietly and hear the burbling brook in the shade. A roof is a thing here. We get attacked by trees. Here is a ninja fungus. I would have hated to be there when it fell.
IMG_20190318_121356.jpg
IMG_20190318_121329.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have to sell this to Becky. I am gonna have to do some homework. We have literally tons of firewood and more coming. Two large trees in the front View attachment 50797of the house are failing and will come down within the year. I thought about a stump garden, or something to utilize that material so I do not have to move it too far. Perhaps she will find me thrifty?View attachment 50798
The oak leaning has suffered a fungal rot. Lots of rain off the house. It is not dead, just leaning on the lower tree. The crooked one higher is dead. I have left it for a bit because animals like to live in a hollowed tree, but unfortunately the prevailing wind hits the front of the house more or less from the driveway side. Maybe some wood instead of bricks in a some cool design would be a neat way to leave the materials to dissolve back on site?

The dead tree with squirrel out my living room window:
View attachment 50799

Lovely!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
This type thing could be combined closely or even integral to a gazebo type structure.View attachment 50914View attachment 50915

Love the first one. Do you have a naturally wet and moisture micrclime in your garden, DM?

You could google youtube Chelsea Japanese moss gardens. This Japanese wins every year because of this moss gardens. Very artistic...

Ask a Question