Moss cover or grass cover for small garden?

what would you like a carpet grass garden (Lawn grass) or a moss covered garden?

• grass

• moss

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Hi, thinking to add a little more greenery to my garden.

sandy :soil
warm climate , 27 deg C
India
I love those Japanese moss garden, they look so beautiful , uniformly spread, color change with weather. I also like those soothing grass cover. It difficult to decide.

what would you like a garden with carpet grass (Lawn grass) or a moss covered garden?
How hard is it to grow moss?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think moss only grows in shade.

I think I would go with grass, just because I imagine it is more resistant to foot traffic, dogs, etc.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
what would you like a garden with carpet grass (Lawn grass) or a moss covered garden?
How hard is it to grow moss?

I don't like grass, and I do like moss, so I would go with moss. I don't really know how hard it is to grow moss, but I think it's fairly easy if you find the right kind of moss that will grow in your conditions.

I think moss only grows in shade.

I think I would go with grass, just because I imagine it is more resistant to foot traffic, dogs, etc.

I used to think that too, but different species of moss can grow in different light conditions. It can also handle foot traffic. I recently watched a Youtube video where a guy converted his entire yard to moss with success.

EDIT: Here's the video.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Just for the record I am not a fan of manicured lawns! Mine is a healthy mix of whatever grows here naturally and apart from mowing most of it (because of code enforcement) do no maintenance at all.

Cool about the moss, though. I have none that grows naturally here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I do love the look of moss. I have it growing between my patio block walkway in my frontyard. It was not planted by me, and happened all on it's own. Pretty good sunlight in that area too.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Are you looking for a pretty ground cover to walk on, or just to look at?

:) My answer depends on your answer!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I would go with moss, grass holds very little charm for me. There are other options too, low growing plants like some Oxalis and there are herbs that are low growing and can be walked on that will exude a lovely fragrance. I don't know any that would be good for a tropical climate though, although i haven't looked very hard, but one day will research further into the possibilities. Now that i know there is moss that will grow in my climate i may research moss further too. I always have dreams of the perfect ground cover.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Grass will be too easily and moss will take lot of time to grow.

I sow some grass seeds on a pot for one corner of my garden and moss for the rest.

Here are some pic how I plan to start a moss garden, please advice to make it better.

Collected a nice piece of rock and some stone chips.
3333333 (2).jpg

3333333 (3).jpg

Put them on a plastic container that came with cookies, Collected some moss
3333333 (4).jpg

added water and stirred it.(Some say buttermilk or curd or sugar will be good, careful it might result in a fungal garden instead o_O)
3333333 (5).jpg

And poured it on the rock.
3333333 (1).jpg

Placed it under shade, will spray with de-chlorinated water
Lets see what happens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
This looks like a fun experiment to try...i think i might have some started already in the birdbath. Very good idea to use de-chlorinated water.:) I use it when starting seedlings too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
SECRET: I make my own de-chlorinated water (chlorine free as well as heavy metal free water), just put some STS crystals ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I made another rock bed, this time I wrap the rock with muslin cloth for a change. Moss need damp place with rough texture to start anchoring.

I think first rock may become tough for Moss to grow, in a hot and dry weather.

Only time will tell.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
India
This is a very interesting alternative for those who dislike 'grass lawns' [I'm one, as they ask for too much water and work, esp. in our climate]. That video above throws light on some very nice ideas.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I always have dreams of the perfect ground cover.
@Beverly, have you considered Portulaca? Might work for you, too, @Rajesh Sethi. (y)
:love: I have a special fondness for portulaca, my mother grew it every summer. :love:

Pictures here: https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs...UTF-8&n=60&x=wrt&hsimp=yhs-003&hspart=mozilla

http://www.learn2grow.com/plants/portulaca/ said:
The best known garden Portulaca is the small, colorful moss rose (Portulaca grandiflora). This heat tolerant beauty is a low-growing, spreading annual that originates from South America. (...snip...) Hardiness and culture are species dependent, but most Portulaca prefer hot sun and average to poor well-drained soil. Generally, they are very drought tolerant once established and tend to be easy to grow if not overwatered. http://www.learn2grow.com/plants/portulaca/
I didn't think it was an annual...? I know it will self-seed, though.

;) They are a nectar plant for butterflies, and some species are a host plant. (y) (I've already closed the tabs and forgotten which species of plant for which species of butterfly. :( )

Just don't love it to death, poor portulaca thrives on abuse
!! :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

Mom was good at ignoring hers while it was outside, but as soon as the container came in for the winter, it was a death sentence. I'd catch her watering it and say, "Woe, poor portulaca!!" She'd stop watering and look guilty. :ROFLMAO: (In hindsight, I wonder if she thought I saying "Whoa...poor portulaca!" :confused: )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portulaca

Ask a Question