Morning Glory in Scotland? (Or other cool climate)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
A little info that sheds more light...

I'm also growing 'Cup and Saucer Vine' (cobaea) which is hardier than Morning Glory. It's classed as H2 (hardy down to between 1 and 5 degrees C) - MG is H1c - (hardy down to 5 and 10 degrees).

We've been getting night time temps of between 8 and 10 recently - with perhaps very brief dips down to 7. So I put my Cup and Saucer vines out to harden. Some of the very small ones with only 2 leaves are looking very unhappy, but the bigger ones are thriving. A little research revealed that young seedlings will be killed off by anything below 10 degrees, and that bigger seedlings will be killed by anything below 7 degrees.

So, whilst Cup and Saucer vine SHOULD be fine down to somewhere between 1 and 5 C, when it's small it needs to be kept much warmer.

Chances are something similar applies to morning glory. Last year I planted mine out when the were still fairly small - probably at a very vulnerable stage. Chances are they need temps closer to 15 degrees at night when they're small. Sowing a bit earlier and being prepared to bring them on indoors until they're quite big might do the trick.

Ask a Question