Being swallowed by bindweed (wild morning glory)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been battling bindweed in my yard for years. I can't seem to get it under control in part due to neighbors on either side yard neglect. We have even reluctantly poisoned, but in addition to wanting to avoid toxic chemicals, it was ultimately ineffective. Even if I wanted to poison, it is wrapped around so many plants that I would have to avoid. I may just have to burn my house down and move at this point! (Kidding, but I swear it's so frustrating)
Has anyone successfully eradicated this from your yard/ garden and HOW? thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Place some kind of barrier like a sturdy fence about 50 cm deep into the soil along the border to prevent more bindweed from coming. You can simply kill the bindweed in your garden using glyphosate weed killer, which you apply on the leaves. Make sure you don’t get it on the other plants because it might also kill them. If it helps, carefully unwind the bindweed from those plants.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you mix the weed killer with a little wall paper paste it will make a sticky goo which is much easier to apply just to the bindweed (use a paint brush) and won't drip onto your other plants. You may have to do it several times as there will be thick underground roots that will not die the first time. I fully sympathise with not wanting to use chemicals, but some times ...

Ask a Question