More help septoria leaf spot

Reaction score
Country
United States
I mentioned on another post my garden was flawless till a couple weeks ago. I bought a baby tomatoe plant from a guy, it had highly contagious septoria leaf spot. It has since spread to my 8 9 foot mortgage lifters and 6 6 foot pink fang tomatoes.

I removed all the spots aggressively. Sprayed with copper. It rained, more spots... seems the spots have no problem on stems either. Sprayed with neem too.

I got hydrogen peroxide coming Monday, will spray with 1 or 2%, and more copper... maybe try vinegar as well.

I have fear it has spread to everything, causing different effects. My 25 peper plants have mote holes but no spots, my cucs are getting crazy yellow. My soy beans have holes. Even my potatoes look different... could be the heat wave.

Anyway, this is terrible. That guy lied to me, when I asked about the spots he said "it just needs to be put in the ground". The $3 he made off of me as already cost me like 200$ plus loss of yield. In addition, I am no longer getting any pleasure out of this, I fear this disease will be in my yard for all eternity, in which case I plan to continue gardening for the remaining year and give it up... I like growing healthy plants, not caring for the fungally doomed... not trying to run a leopord colony here.

Is there any hope left for me? What can I actually do to get rid of this, if not this year than next? I am growing everything in about 80 grow bags with expensive kokobop dirt, a couple squash and brocoli are in the ground nothing else... but its hoped around my tomatoe plants so it's probably everywhere... wouldn't be surprised if it's spreading to my neighbors.

Please help... this guy has ruined me I fear.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You need a preventative. Hydrogen Peroxide might kill the fungus but the damage will still be on the leaves. Using too much copper isn't a good thing either as it will build up in the soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I mentioned on another post my garden was flawless till a couple weeks ago. I bought a baby tomatoe plant from a guy, it had highly contagious septoria leaf spot. It has since spread to my 8 9 foot mortgage lifters and 6 6 foot pink fang tomatoes.

I removed all the spots aggressively. Sprayed with copper. It rained, more spots... seems the spots have no problem on stems either. Sprayed with neem too.

I got hydrogen peroxide coming Monday, will spray with 1 or 2%, and more copper... maybe try vinegar as well.

I have fear it has spread to everything, causing different effects. My 25 peper plants have mote holes but no spots, my cucs are getting crazy yellow. My soy beans have holes. Even my potatoes look different... could be the heat wave.

Anyway, this is terrible. That guy lied to me, when I asked about the spots he said "it just needs to be put in the ground". The $3 he made off of me as already cost me like 200$ plus loss of yield. In addition, I am no longer getting any pleasure out of this, I fear this disease will be in my yard for all eternity, in which case I plan to continue gardening for the remaining year and give it up... I like growing healthy plants, not caring for the fungally doomed... not trying to run a leopord colony here.

Is there any hope left for me? What can I actually do to get rid of this, if not this year than next? I am growing everything in about 80 grow bags with expensive kokobop dirt, a couple squash and brocoli are in the ground nothing else... but its hoped around my tomatoe plants so it's probably everywhere... wouldn't be surprised if it's spreading to my neighbors.

Please help... this guy has ruined me I fear.
Agri-fos.

1688274447564.png

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you already have septoria leaf spot it may be too late for a fungicide. The only way fungicides really work is as a preventive before the fungus blooms. Once the fungus is active it's really hard to stop it enough for the plant to recover. Most plants infected don't recover and putting fungicide on infected plants is a waste of money and time.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's hard to beleive... we jave so many funguscides that work so well for humans but not plants? There are internal and topical funguscides that wipe it out in humans, injections, why is there no effective treatment for plants? Can you imagine treating athletes foot with hydrogen peroxide or copper? I guess titanium dioxide or zinc oxide won't work cause it isn't transparent... but isn't there a like a plant fungal drug I can inject them with to end this?

I bought some agri fos, as the fellow suggested... but your probably right, I'm screwed, now and every year after... because I bought a plant from a prick.

Assuming there is no plant drug and assuming this 300$ I spent to try all these solutions turns out to be waste, isn't there anything else that can be done to get this out of my yard? I don't want to have to control something that wasn't even a problem before I bought that pricks plant... I mean, should I spray my soil with bleach in winter, how deep in the soil can bad septoria live? What if I wipe down the stem and leaves with bleach by had... if the plants are doomed the organic goal is moot... this sucks so bad guys!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
If you already have septoria leaf spot it may be too late for a fungicide. The only way fungicides really work is as a preventive before the fungus blooms. Once the fungus is active it's really hard to stop it enough for the plant to recover. Most plants infected don't recover and putting fungicide on infected plants is a waste of money and time.
It slows it down to get the crop in. Technically you are right. Stretched out over time especially all these non native plants like tomato will die or become naturalized to an area over years. But they are not native so we sterilize, prevent as the season goes along. Especially sterilize your trimming cutting tools and remove debris for burning. You cannot use the compost from it in the garden again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It's hard to beleive... we jave so many funguscides that work so well for humans but not plants? There are internal and topical funguscides that wipe it out in humans, injections, why is there no effective treatment for plants? Can you imagine treating athletes foot with hydrogen peroxide or copper? I guess titanium dioxide or zinc oxide won't work cause it isn't transparent... but isn't there a like a plant fungal drug I can inject them with to end this?

I bought some agri fos, as the fellow suggested... but your probably right, I'm screwed, now and every year after... because I bought a plant from a prick.

Assuming there is no plant drug and assuming this 300$ I spent to try all these solutions turns out to be waste, isn't there anything else that can be done to get this out of my yard? I don't want to have to control something that wasn't even a problem before I bought that pricks plant... I mean, should I spray my soil with bleach in winter, how deep in the soil can bad septoria live? What if I wipe down the stem and leaves with bleach by had... if the plants are doomed the organic goal is moot... this sucks so bad guys!
Try to avoid copper as it is toxic in very small amounts and evidently build up in soil so some countries have begun banning the formulations.

There are antibiotics but they mainly work on bacteria. Virus and fungi are tougher.

I have never had early blight until this year. I bought 18 san marzano and boom there it was. Stay ahead of septoria trying to get to the top of the plant. That is the race. Povidone iodine wash helps too on the outside. 2 tbsp per gallon water. Kills on contact and you get a little extra iodine in your diet at some point which is good for you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Try to avoid copper as it is toxic in very small amounts and evidently build up in soil so some countries have begun banning the formulations.

There are antibiotics but they mainly work on bacteria. Virus and fungi are tougher.

I have never had early blight until this year. I bought 18 san marzano and boom there it was. Stay ahead of septoria trying to get to the top of the plant. That is the race. Povidone iodine wash helps too on the outside. 2 tbsp per gallon water. Kills on contact and you get a little extra iodine in your diet at some point which is good for you.

Well shit... copper sucks then... I can't imagine copper being better than baking soda or vinegar at killing, controlling or preventing it... its just a freaking metal, at least vinegar and soda are chemically active and change the environment.

Iodine sounds like a good idea... what % do you use? I bought Amazon basic 10% 2 tablespoons per gallon correct for that concentration? How high can I go?

Going to try it all in a smart order I guess....

Day 1 h2o2, kill it... high P fertizler
Day 2 iodine
Day 3 aspirin and copper
Day 4 h2o2
Day 5 h202
Day 6 iodine
Day 7 copper

What's the best way to sanitize the **** out of my soil come November?

Reaction score
Country
United States

Hmm... interesting... applied together maybe they seem highly effective at killing stuff under a microscope. Anyone here know biology? Is my disease listed there? Lol. What's the concentration recommended. What do you think the ratio should be?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've sprayed straight 3% H2O2 on my plants and also have soil drenched them without killing the plant. It is very hard to get the peroxide to soak into the soil when it gets to a certain strength. It just doesn't want to soak into the ground. I would try a 0.75% H2O2 solution for Septoria Leaf Spot which is a quart of 3% per gallon of water. After one application the fungus spots will just brown and stay there but the leaf should still live if successful.

I haven't experimented with Iodine and diseased plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States

Hmm... interesting... applied together maybe they seem highly effective at killing stuff under a microscope. Anyone here know biology? Is my disease listed there? Lol. What's the concentration recommended. What do you think the ratio should be?
As little as possible. Nothing is free. Think about the fact that the stuff is capable of killing and the straight logic is with enough you can kill the plant. Its even true for water and air.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have held a lot of customers' hands hoping a fungicide would save their lawn and some garden plants. I let everyone spend as much money as they wanted to save the lawn only to be disappointed in the end. Fungicides don't work if the organism is already infected.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have held a lot of customers' hands hoping a fungicide would save their lawn and some garden plants. I let everyone spend as much money as they wanted to save the lawn only to be disappointed in the end. Fungicides don't work if the organism is already infected.
Thanks guys... just surprised is all... Doctors have great fungal treatments in medicine, and plants are so much simpler than smart meat, lol, there is nothing that really wipes it out except the basic disinfectants I guess. I spray with 1% h2o2 1.5 gallons on 15 plants. Sprayed all the spots hard, lol. One pour tomatoe is pretty bare from pruning, still okay at the tippy top, 9 footer
16884226961099144627978680333893.jpg
16884227352761943500590849947918.jpg
16884227499923271990885803588407.jpg

The king of the leopard colony

16884228774092453021806539031280.jpg

Hope this h2o2 works, can't imagine it doesn't kill at least 70% of it... maybe 90% on second day... maybe I can get to 99% with iodine on night tree.

Best video I found explaining the life cycle, wish I could watch the effects under a microscope.

Attachments

• 16884227994935831930714556493479.jpg
    16884227994935831930714556493479.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hope this h2o2 works, can't imagine it doesn't kill at least 70% of it... maybe 90% on second day... maybe I can get to 99% with iodine on night tree.
You'd proabably have to spray it daily to keep fungus at bay. Nice looking plants you have.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You'd proabably have to spray it daily to keep fungus at bay. Nice looking plants you have...

Thanks!

So I mean what do people do... they get this disease in there yard all of a sudden and say, well, guess I'm done, lol. It stays overwinter so never goes away, I can't beleive people just go from growing big old plants to cutting 10% off a week, spending hundred on bs remedies intended to control instead of cure, so the chemical companies can keep selling. Maybe that's the issue here, a complete lack of effective regulation. Wouldn't be surprised if they are engineering diseases resistant to their chemicals, technically we all are kinda breeding them ourselves lol. I'm about to call it done, fun one year never again... or maybe I just gotta sell off my dirt, move and start over. Tell you one thing... only ever growing from seed again. Never trusting a strange plant... if I garden again it'll be in a clean room, lol, jk.

Ask a Question