Maple or sycamore or something else?

Low Altitude

Low Altitude
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b but houseplants only - apartment
Country
United States
Spring is here again in the N.E. USA and our some of our local trees are seeding, including this fellow:

tree leaves.jpg

IMG_7112.JPG

Maple or sycamore or something else?

I'm an idiot and I'd like to try planting the seeds in a pot and seeing what happens. Any advice on (a) depth to plant and (b) whether to let them dry a bit first, or plant them immediately, green as they are?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Under ideal conditions in its native range, Norway maple may live up to 250 years, but often has a much shorter life expectancy in North America, sometimes only 60 years.

Low Altitude

Low Altitude
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b but houseplants only - apartment
Country
United States
It’s a maple, more than likely a Norway Maple. I’m not sure about timing, but someone else will.
Thanks as ever. What do you make of the smaller fellows on the left. Spotted them, but in circs where they could have come from anywhere, so I'm sorry I don't have a foliage shot.

IMG_7248B.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Just a quick SWAG - the small brown ones are either from a different maple tree or jettisoned early from this one and dried out.

If you look around gardens and shrubs near this maple I'm sure you'll find small maple trees growing from dropped seeds.

Ask a Question