More help with white spots on Vietnamese mint

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all, I was hoping for more advice on my Vietnamese mint plant. About a week ago, I noticed white fuzzy spots on some of its stalks so I pruned off many stalks/leaves with the white fuzzy substance (thinking it was a fungal infection) and sprayed it with eco-fungicide (active ingredient potassium bicarbonate). It was fine for a while but today again I've noticed white fuzzy spots on the stalks (pictures attached). Just wanted to see what others' thoughts are regarding whether this is more fungus or whether it is bugs. Should I respray it again with the fungicide or use something different? We're in Australia and this summer has been quite humid. I have taken the plant out of the pot it is in so that hopefully it gets a bit more airflow. Help! Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG-20211220-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20211220-WA0007.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG-20211220-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20211220-WA0008.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG-20211220-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20211220-WA0009.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 35
Reaction score
Country
United States
Your Vietnamese 'Mint' (Persicaria odorata) is infested with mealybugs (Pseudococcidae).

First put the plant in a location isolated from other plants.

1. Use a simple tool, such as a sharpened pencil, and scrape away and crush every mealybug ('white spot') that you can find.
You won't get them all, but this will help reduce the population.
2. Purchase an insecticidal soap and spray the entire plant thoroughly.

Repeat steps 1. and 2. as needed, until the infestation is eradicated.
Even though you are using mostly non-toxic 'organic' chemicals, still refrain from using the plant as a culinary herb until the plant produces new growth, clean of pests and chemicals.

Often called Vietnamese 'Mint' or Vietnamese 'Cilantro', Persicaria odorata is actually a pungently flavoured herb
in the Knotweed family (Polygonaceae), native to eastern and southeastern Asia, Japan, Taiwan, and Hainan.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thank you Marck for your advice and quick response ! Will try. By the way the basil is looking much better.

Ask a Question