Monstrea and Peperomia Watermelon Troubles

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Hi all,

Just got these plants two weeks ago and am having some issues with spotting. I have sprayed them Yates Pyrethrum Insect Pest Gun and the spotting has only seemed to become worse. I haven't watered them in 8 days and the soil is fairly dry. I water them with tap water and read somewhere that peperomia watermelon are sensitive to chlorine and flourine in the water - could this be the issue for it? Not too sure about the Monstera. Have put them outside for the time being incase of pests.

Attachments

• 8B10987E-0926-47D6-A324-DA74A0B44142.jpeg
    8B10987E-0926-47D6-A324-DA74A0B44142.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 61
  • AC3B2678-819E-4E70-B324-5A16EF32A5E0.jpeg
    AC3B2678-819E-4E70-B324-5A16EF32A5E0.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 714FBDFC-BC35-4C5B-B61F-FD5F91B28A27.jpeg
    714FBDFC-BC35-4C5B-B61F-FD5F91B28A27.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 59
  • E14C3BBF-4A4F-4326-B96A-F5D5F9510C92.jpeg
    E14C3BBF-4A4F-4326-B96A-F5D5F9510C92.jpeg
    139.2 KB · Views: 66
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
As you already mentioned this could be caused by a variety of reasons. Here is a link for the monstera Brown spots on my monstera. There are a lot of reasons for monsteras to have difficulty but do well once acclimated to your home. Good luck.

Spotting on the leaves can a sign of overwatering and roots rotting. The stem of the monstera is a perfect example. Since it is happening to both plants and my own recent purchase I thought it might be the cause. This can happen in the life of plants in big box stores. I just bought a plant that I knew when purchasing that this was the problem. I put it on a plant heating pad to hopefully dry the soil faster and am monitoring. Cool temperatures and wet soil are not good for stressed plants and can encourage root rot.

For plants I knew had root rot (I turn the plant out of its pot and looked at the roots) that was smaller I have repotted into fresh dry well draining soil and placed in a gallon freezer bag, lightly misted and zipped it up. This is also how I start peperomia and care for plants that haven’t travel well in the mail. In a month or two with warm roots plants recover or start quickly.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

Just got these plants two weeks ago and am having some issues with spotting. I have sprayed them Yates Pyrethrum Insect Pest Gun and the spotting has only seemed to become worse. I haven't watered them in 8 days and the soil is fairly dry. I water them with tap water and read somewhere that peperomia watermelon are sensitive to chlorine and flourine in the water - could this be the issue for it? Not too sure about the Monstera. Have put them outside for the time being incase of pests.

Watermelon Peperomia (Peperomia Argyreia) Indoor Care Guide

Watermelon Peperomia, botanical name Peperomia argyreia, is an evergreen perennial shrub in the family Piperaceae. The plant is native to Brazil and Ecuador but has been introduced as an ornamental houseplant worldwide. It is also sometimes called “Watermelon Begonia,” as the leaves share some likenesses to begonias and watermelons even though the plant itself is neither.

Watermelon Peperomia Care

As long as you stick to the proper care routine, there’s very little that can go wrong. The dutiful are rewarded handsomely with lush growth.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think you should go through this article. I hope this will answer your questions.

Also you have a look at this video regarding watermelon peperomia care guide.

Ask a Question