Peperomia polyboltra watering issues

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I got this peperomia about 6 months ago and it has been doing pretty well but lately watering it has become quite difficult. When ever I water it it seems to spit out the water through it’s leaves, even if before hand it showed signs of dehydration. From what I have read this is normal unles it causes damage to the leaves(which it does). The next day usually some leaves will turn yellow and eventually drop off, which from my research(I could be wrong), suggests over watering. I have tried to let the soil dry out a bit but the leaves keep dropping. Is it dying? Can I save it??
4A29211C-9AFC-428C-9DBA-30839EE9C8B5.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 87
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Jess, I think the very important bit for this plant is that the drainage has to be really good. When you read how the plant needs to dry out before you water it again, don`t let it get totally bone dry so it starts to deteriorate. Give it a really thorough watering then, but make sure the water shoots straight through. It needs to be really gritty - like a cactus compost. This plant looks to be at its optimum height now, and will be a bit prone to getting leggy - just when the yellow leaf drop tends to happen. When do you feed it?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi Jess, I think the very important bit for this plant is that the drainage has to be really good. When you read how the plant needs to dry out before you water it again, don`t let it get totally bone dry so it starts to deteriorate. Give it a really thorough watering then, but make sure the water shoots straight through. It needs to be really gritty - like a cactus compost. This plant looks to be at its optimum height now, and will be a bit prone to getting leggy - just when the yellow leaf drop tends to happen. When do you feed it?
Hi thanks for the reply, I usually fertilise it about every 2 weeks with a natural fertiliser. Would you recommend repotting it in some better, well draining soil?? Thanks again.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi thanks for the reply, I usually fertilise it about every 2 weeks with a natural fertiliser. Would you recommend repotting it in some better, well draining soil?? Thanks again.

Yes, it would be a good idea in my opinion. If you can get that watering detail sorted and feed the plant now (it is about time for your spring there isn`t it) it would help. This will also give you a chance to have a good look at the root system to see what might be going on there.
If you can get some, I find Osmocote slow release feed pellets really good, and they will take care of the feeding for the summer!

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Yes, it would be a good idea in my opinion. If you can get that watering detail sorted and feed the plant now (it is about time for your spring there isn`t it) it would help. This will also give you a chance to have a good look at the root system to see what might be going on there.
If you can get some, I find Osmocote slow release feed pellets really good, and they will take care of the feeding for the summer!
Thanks so much for the advice, I will be repotting and fertilising it tomorrow.

Ask a Question