Dark patches under Peperomia Polybotrya leaves :(

Reaction score
Country
Australia
image.jpg

I’ve had this plant for about three months now and has been doing really well but today I noticed some strange dark patches under the leaves, does anyone know what it is?

Reaction score
Country
Israel
@Jess.1, hello

Have you watered or sprayed (with water of course) the plant recently?

I think it could be a water retention problem:
Sometimes, when you water the plant too much, those spots can appear, I'm not actually sure why, if I'm not mistaken, it's the veins in the leaves that pop, (don't quote me on that). Anyway. that could be it.

Although I have to point out that it can also accrue without over-watering, I've seen plants do that even with minimal watering.

Of course, there could be other reasons, but I'm quite confident that I'm right. Do let us know

Reaction score
Country
Australia
@Jess.1, hello

Have you watered or sprayed (with water of course) the plant recently?

I think it could be a water retention problem:
Sometimes, when you water the plant too much, those spots can appear, I'm not actually sure why, if I'm not mistaken, it's the veins in the leaves that pop, (don't quote me on that). Anyway. that could be it.

Although I have to point out that it can also accrue without over-watering, I've seen plants do that even with minimal watering.

Of course, there could be other reasons, but I'm quite confident that I'm right. Do let us know
Thank you so much! I did water it yesterday and spayed it too. By any chance do you know if there is any way to fix it?

Reaction score
Country
Israel
I suggest removing/emptying frequently the plate underneath, so it will be dry. Also, move the plant to a sunny place, but not for too long.

although Peperomias look like succulents due to their thick, slightly succulent leaves, they are not succulent:
On the contrary - " These plants are native to South American rain forests, where they grow quite happily in the loamy, dappled light, cool understory of the rainforest".

But! don't let the idea of a "Tropical plant" deceive you. You must, after all, check that you're not watering it too much (or too little).

Here is something I found in an article about Peperomias :

" Keep the soil moist during the growing season. In the fall and winter, wait until the soil is dry to water the plant. You want the soil moist, but not soggy ".

And finally, from what I've read ( I never actually owned a Peperomia plant ) - "The biggest problem facing Peperomia is usually related to watering". (Maybe it'll make you feel better).

Good luck

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I suggest removing/emptying frequently the plate underneath, so it will be dry. Also, move the plant to a sunny place, but not for too long.

although Peperomias look like succulents due to their thick, slightly succulent leaves, they are not succulent:
On the contrary - " These plants are native to South American rain forests, where they grow quite happily in the loamy, dappled light, cool understory of the rainforest".

But! don't let the idea of a "Tropical plant" deceive you. You must, after all, check that you're not watering it too much (or too little).

Here is something I found in an article about Peperomias :

" Keep the soil moist during the growing season. In the fall and winter, wait until the soil is dry to water the plant. You want the soil moist, but not soggy ".

And finally, from what I've read ( I never actually owned a Peperomia plant ) - "The biggest problem facing Peperomia is usually related to watering". (Maybe it'll make you feel better).

Good luck
Thanks heaps for your very comprehensive response, I really appreciate the advice!

Ask a Question