Sunshine Blue Blueberry Leaves have Darkening Brown Spots

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I recently planted a Sunshine Blue Blueberry plant in a 22 inch diameter container pot in my garden using MiracleGro Potting Mix. I have not fertilized it since transplanting to a larger pot 2 -3 weeks ago. I water nightly around 8 pm using the shower setting on an adjustable spray nozzle - I don't water the whole plant, just the soil. The plants gets full sun in the heat of San Antonio, TX. There are probably fire ants in the pot, but from what I've read they're more beneficial than hurtful to the plant. Other than that I've seen one grasshopper, but that doesn't mean there aren't other insects that I haven't spotted.

I just noticed that a few of the leaves have tan-ish brown spots that seem to get darker brown over time. The spots are in the middle and the edge of the leaves. Only a few of the leaves have this, but I'm afraid it will take over the plant if I don't resolve the problem. Am I watering them too llittle or too much or is there a lack of nutrition or is it insects or some disease? I'm fairly new to gardening and am unsure of how to fix this. I attached a pic of 2 troublesome leaves and a pic of the entire plant. Your help is appreciated!

BlueberryLeaves.jpg

BlueberryPlant.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi, I recently planted a Sunshine Blue Blueberry plant in a 22 inch diameter container pot in my garden using MiracleGro Potting Mix. I have not fertilized it since transplanting to a larger pot 2 -3 weeks ago. I water nightly around 8 pm using the shower setting on an adjustable spray nozzle - I don't water the whole plant, just the soil. The plants gets full sun in the heat of San Antonio, TX. There are probably fire ants in the pot, but from what I've read they're more beneficial than hurtful to the plant. Other than that I've seen one grasshopper, but that doesn't mean there aren't other insects that I haven't spotted.

I just noticed that a few of the leaves have tan-ish brown spots that seem to get darker brown over time. The spots are in the middle and the edge of the leaves. Only a few of the leaves have this, but I'm afraid it will take over the plant if I don't resolve the problem. Am I watering them too llittle or too much or is there a lack of nutrition or is it insects or some disease? I'm fairly new to gardening and am unsure of how to fix this. I attached a pic of 2 troublesome leaves and a pic of the entire plant. Your help is appreciated!

View attachment 67532

View attachment 67533
Blueberrys are next to impossible to grow in our area due to our alkaline water and soil. Your potting soil may be acidic enough but you must check and see. Blueberry like a soil Ph of 4.5 - 5.5 and if much higher you will see problems like you are encountering now.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Blueberrys are next to impossible to grow in our area due to our alkaline water and soil. Your potting soil may be acidic enough but you must check and see. Blueberry like a soil Ph of 4.5 - 5.5 and if much higher you will see problems like you are encountering now.
Thanks for the help!

Ask a Question