Bush Blue Lake Bean Plants Leaves have brownish places and curling up

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I recently planted Bush Blue Lake seeds in several different container pots ranging in size from 12 inches to 14 inches in diameter in my garden using MiracleGro Organic Choice Moisture Control Potting Mix with Compost - 18% Nitrogen, 10% Phosphate, and 12% Potash. I have not fertilized them. I water nightly around 8 pm using the shower setting on my adjustable spray hose nozzle. The entire plants get wet when I water. I recently read I should only get the soil wet, so I started doing that yesterday. The plant gets full sun in the heat of San Antonio, TX. There could be fire ants in some of the pots, but from what I've read they're more beneficial than hurtful to the plants. Other than that I've seen one grasshopper in my garden, but that doesn't mean there aren't other insects that I haven't spotted. They came up within a few days and looked great, but a week or so later some of the leaves started getting these brownish places and curling up. New leaves are growing in with nice, dark green leaves, but more are getting the spots and dying. Am I watering them too much or too little or is there a lack of nutrition or is it blight or some other disease or insect? I'm fairly new to gardening and am unsure of how to fix this. Your help is appreciated!

I attached pics of the leaves and of one of the plants.
GreanBeanLeaves.jpg
GreanBeanPlant.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Your potting soil is staying too wet due to the 50% peat moss in the potting soil and giving your beans a fungus. Don't water as often and spray the affected plants with Neem Oil.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
When Chuck says, "Don't water as much..." I think he means, "If you stick your index finger into the growing medium to the second knuckle, & it feels dry, then water. If not, don't."

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your potting soil is staying too wet due to the 50% peat moss in the potting soil and giving your beans a fungus. Don't water as often and spray the affected plants with Neem Oil.
Thank you so much!!!

Ask a Question