Mission Impossible: 40 Roma & San Marzano in August

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey.

I'm in north GA. Started some seeds of these tomatoes last week, then realized it wad August... is there any hope of getting a crop before the freeze? Or is my garage warm enough... maybe there is a garage heater or something... grow lights I can buy but how many? 5 gallon bucket okay or must it be 10?

Am I insaine, should I stop and go by romas at kroger and call it a day? Lol

Not trying to break the bank... got all these grow bags with dirt... was considering a tent but, meh, might as well by a green house at that point... I'm renting so not sure if there is something that would work.

Anyone else attempt something like this, tell me your stories and tips... what are my best options to achieve the goal.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
So you are zone 7 or zone 8? I've done this many times over the years in zone 8 but it definitely is a "roll the dice" . To be successful, you must get some "cool" weather like 60's or low 70's in early September to allow fruit set. Then its a waiting game until first frost. Fruit set in Oct. doesn't have a chance here, and any earlier than Sept. is almost impossible because of heat.

Give it a go. If it works, I promise those will be the best tasting tomatoes of your experience. You can always move/protect them...or have fried green tomatoes!

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Here's a shot of some determinate maters waiting for a September cool front to make some blooms and set some fruit. I have a superstructure over them to provide quick/easy winter protection, lots of home grown mulch around them, and sun blocking stuff to help them get through 100 + deg days of August. It's a gamble.

fall tomatoes.JPG

Ask a Question