A gardener's mission

Reaction score
Hi, everyone!
Wandering about this wonderful site, I see lots of devoted professionals and beginners in gardening. But I guess every gardener has some specific motivation inside. I'm just an amateur in gardening but by growing a few flowers every summer I'm happy to make a small piece of land a little more beautiful, serene. So, what's your mission as a gardener?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Habitat for attracting animal life. I'm not like other gardeners, probably can't even call me a gardener, since I like growing weeds, much of what I grow I don't buy, I just allow to grow in place of grass and see how it fits into the habitat I'm creating. I got so much animal life here now, I wonder when I'm going to hit a peak. It use to be very rare for me to see frogs in my yard, now I find them everywhere, including in the leaves of plants and in my trash can, which is now their home.

Reaction score
Habitat for attracting animal life. I'm not like other gardeners, probably can't even call me a gardener, since I like growing weeds, much of what I grow I don't buy, I just allow to grow in place of grass and see how it fits into the habitat I'm creating. I got so much animal life here now, I wonder when I'm going to hit a peak. It use to be very rare for me to see frogs in my yard, now I find them everywhere, including in the leaves of plants and in my trash can, which is now their home.
That's great! Looks like a gardener is a Lord that creates a planet of their own, watches it and takes care of it :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
welcomeflowrs.gif

For me, a sense of taking part in creation; beautify my surroundings; attract birds, bee, butterflies and bugs; self sufficiency growing veggies.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Providing is my motivation. Providing food, water, and shelter for wildlife (we have plenty of wildlife!); providing flowers for joy and beauty; providing lots and lots of vegetables for us and for anyone who needs some; and providing a safe and secure home for our 18 chickens and four cats
Did I mention my husband is the enabler? He enables all of the above, bless him!

Reaction score
Providing is my motivation. Providing food, water, and shelter for wildlife (we have plenty of wildlife!); providing flowers for joy and beauty; providing lots and lots of vegetables for us and for anyone who needs some; and providing a safe and secure home for our 18 chickens and four cats
Did I mention my husband is the enabler? He enables all of the above, bless him!
(y) Good, it makes life meaningful!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Providing habitat primarily for the pollinators. We (homo sapiens) have taken away so much habitat so in my small way i try to make up for some of the losses. Recently the garden was a refuge for a mama hummingbird who was able to raise 2 chicks successfully and this made me so happy and grateful. I think @roadrunner is our most dedicated habitat provider, all natural. You should take a look at some of the photos of his garden, it is impressive and inspiring. Welcome to the forums:)

Reaction score
Providing habitat primarily for the pollinators. We (homo sapiens) have taken away so much habitat so in my small way i try to make up for some of the losses. Recently the garden was a refuge for a mama hummingbird who was able to raise 2 chicks successfully and this made me so happy and grateful. I think @roadrunner is our most dedicated habitat provider, all natural. You should take a look at some of the photos of his garden, it is impressive and inspiring. Welcome to the forums:)
Thanks a lot!:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
My motive is far less honorable than most of these. I love to eat and I really like to eat good food. Most of the processed junk you by in the grocery store is almost flavorless. Most of the lost flavor is replaced with salt. Raising a large variety of vegetables, fruits and nuts gives me a lot of unprocessed nutrition as well as great flavor.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Silentrunning i do not think it is in any way less honorable. It is making good use of the land in a way that provides healthy food for you and yours and at the same time provides habitat and refuge for other animals and insects.

Beverly, it also gives me a LOT of exercise. I'm actually in much better shape now than I was when I was working. I do have to admit though that I often go to bed with sore muscles and an aching back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
For me it's just a joy to communicate with plants. I like to see plants in the house in the winter, in the garden in the summer. I like to grow from seeds. I like to hold the ground in my hands and I like the smell of the earth in the spring.

I communicate with plants. At the same time I communicate with gardeners. :):):)

I guess I do not have a mission ... It looks like I'm a green egoist. :cool:

Ask a Question