A gardener's mission

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Far more mundane for me. I just needed something to do when I was forced to take early retirement. So it is just a way of passing time usefully.

Nothing wrong with that. A nice way to retire!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum, @mooncats

For me, I just like to nurture .. the mother in me likes to boss, try, mess around and see the end result. I love flowers, foliage and I am not exactly a gardener. I love to see how a little seed becomes a plant with beautiful flowers..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I like plants that attract the birds the the bees and the butterfly's, now working with natives that do that... and propagation especially from seed.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Greenhorn That exactly what we should do - leave an area for native wildflower seeds so that insects like bees and butterflies, and moths can come and feed and be part of our life, just as what it should be before we have taken their lands for human activities.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
That exactly what we should do - leave an area for native wildflower seeds so that insects like bees and butterflies, and moths can come and feed and be part of our life

Its not bad if you have natures to disperse seeds and propagate(animals , birds and insects). My garden was dumping ground, filled with cement, sand and broken bricks from repair works. Now, its almost filled with different shrubs, vines and trees (that I wish to make them bonsai) still I desire to get few more.

If I let it to nature, it will be taken over by the invasive species among them and others will be dead.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
That's why we should come to this forum as some of us have very different, sometimes entirely alien, climates which might never feature in my thoughts.

Making Bonsai in India must be hard work! Haha!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Bonsai are pretty hard:p, here in my place I have to make sure it does not get too much water, sunlight or fertilizer.
Did I ever mention about coral jasmine that I planted in a pot and forgot about it, it grew about 18ft or more :whistle:(though it died recently). I have few small ones now that I planted from old trees cutting.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Welcome to the forum, @mooncats

For me, I just like to nurture .. the mother in me likes to boss, try, mess around and see the end result. I love flowers, foliage and I am not exactly a gardener. I love to see how a little seed becomes a plant with beautiful flowers..
You sound like a gardener to me alp:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
It's just so exciting, full of surprises. A very fond memory of mine is a dear friend actually doing a little dance of excitement when she discovered one of her plants was shooting a new bud. It was a real "Dance like there's no one watching " moment.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Did I ever mention about coral jasmine that I planted in a pot and forgot about it, it grew about 18ft or more :whistle:(though it died recently)

LOL! That's a huge tree, not a bonsai.. Now that makes me laugh .. Shamed you also killed it.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You sound like a gardener to me alp:)

That brings a smile to my face.. eh! Young lady, flattery gets you nowhere with this battleaxe .. Hehe! No I don't like to be fastidious .. I just lack that kind of dedication and steadfastness to be anything serious. I plant something in a hole and when the flowers bloom, I smile and talk to myself and then realise that it has been planted in the wrong place .. sometimes, I planted a newbuy on top of an oldbuy .. LOL! (blushing at the same time).. I'm a disaster .. I'm getting a bit better . just a tad..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
When we moved to Texas, I was told by many of the locals that "it won't grow here"--everything from roses to tomatoes to trees. When I realized that we were in the middle of farming country, and that the locals advising me had never grown anything except toenails, I started experimenting, and soon had a pretty good garden. Like Tjohn, I was often pleasantly surprised, lived through a few disappointments, but so enjoyed trying, eating, and messing about in the soil!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
That brings a smile to my face.. eh! Young lady, flattery gets you nowhere with this battleaxe .. Hehe! No I don't like to be fastidious .. I just lack that kind of dedication and steadfastness to be anything serious. I plant something in a hole and when the flowers bloom, I smile and talk to myself and then realise that it has been planted in the wrong place .. sometimes, I planted a newbuy on top of an oldbuy .. LOL! (blushing at the same time).. I'm a disaster .. I'm getting a bit better . just a tad..
Done that too alp. Remember some lovely plant I'd put in and realise I've put something on top and wonder why it's disappeared :D :eek:o_O. Never mind, it's the journey, isn't it?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It's like cutting my own hair -there is always a spot which is nearly always BALD! Hahaha!

Ask a Question