Impossible areas

Reaction score
Country
United States
My husband is contracted out to the electric crew. He walks under the electric wires spraying a chemical that doesn't harm animals, at all, and only kills what you specifically spray it on (80% or more of it). It basically suffocates the the plant to death. I went outside earlier and saw the results of his hard labor. All around the dog fence, that you can't mow, and the other areas that were too thick to mow is beautiful!
You can't get the chemicals yourself, but if you know anyone in the tree business they can probably help you out with it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My husband is contracted out to the electric crew. He walks under the electric wires spraying a chemical that doesn't harm animals, at all, and only kills what you specifically spray it on (80% or more of it). It basically suffocates the the plant to death. I went outside earlier and saw the results of his hard labor. All around the dog fence, that you can't mow, and the other areas that were too thick to mow is beautiful!
You can't get the chemicals yourself, but if you know anyone in the tree business they can probably help you out with it
What is the name of it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Tordal and clean cut
Tordal/Toradon/Tordon/Grazon and others are brand names of a chemical called Piclaram. Many hay growers use it to eliminate broadleaf weeds. When this hay or manure that has piclaram in it is used in the garden it will effectively render the soil useless for gardening for years. OSHA has guidelines as to the amount of exposure to humans during an 8 hour work shift. Piclaram is readily available or at least in Texas it is. Home owners use it to kill things like hackberry trees that grow along fence lines. Clean Cut is an oil based surfactant used in conjunction with Piclaram to help it adhere to the plants being sprayed

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada

Anything or any product that kills cells is harmful. It is only a matter or degree. I have a wide variety of plants and flowers in my garden and seldom see a bee. You be the judge.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
You can easily control unwanted plants in your garden using chemicals that are not toxic. Those chemicals must be kept away from children's reach. We must also avoid inhaling those chemicals.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am nervous about using any chemicals in my garden because of the nasty side effects. Some of that stuff can cause cancer as well, so be careful. I like to research natural remedies for pest control and if that does not work, I just pull the weeds as they grow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There is an area behind my garage that I would love to just rid of all the weeds and vines growing there since it's a difficult spot to keep tidy, but like others, I am too not too fond of using chemical. My dog will get to it and @Rosyrain mentioned about cancer, which scares me too!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The thought of using a chemical to control growth of plants in an area that is hard to get to sounds good at first thought but when you think of the long term results of using those chemicals I think the answer is no to chemicals. Killing growth in areas for years is not a good choice, it sounds like those movies made about dooms day where the water and food have all been killed and the people have not natural resources.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Honestly, I would rather just let the weeds grow wild, or pull them up by hand than use poisonous chemicals to destroy them. I'm not too fussy about things in general, and I don't worry that everything we use is going to kill us, or "harm the planet," but I don't think it's wise to upset the eco-balance by the wholesale spraying of poisons. The only thing I will use chemicals on is Poison Ivy.

Ask a Question