Mini cyclaman

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello my mini cyclaman is looking a bit rough lately. I know it needs more indirect sun light and I am providing that( I previously had it in a darker place). What can I do to help the plant make a full recovery? Does it need a larger pot?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Please post a photo. it would be good to see the state of the plant and the container.

Florist's Cyclamen (Cyclamen persicum) have been bred in various sizes. As they are plants with a tuber at or near surface level, they can be grown in relatively small containers. They are often grown as houseplants in areas with hard frost, but can be grown outdoors year-round in USDA Zones 9b and up.

When in active growth from Fall through Spring, place in part sun or bright shade. Irrigate regularly. Soil must be well-drained.
Pinch off spent blooms to encourage continued bloom. Also pinch off dried, withered leaves. fertilize monthly with a complete, liquid fertilizer.

When plant begins to goslow down in Summer, place the quiescent plant in bright shade. They may be Summered outdoors in shady, spot out of heavy rain. Cyclamen persica may go dormant or semi-dormant. Reduce watering if semi-dormant with some green leaves, but stop watering if completely dormant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oops sorry It must not have posted.

Attachments

• FE2E9B09-937C-452D-89B8-569F8F14DEFF.jpeg
    FE2E9B09-937C-452D-89B8-569F8F14DEFF.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 5E06A993-CE67-4EB5-83E0-68EB11D21C59.jpeg
    5E06A993-CE67-4EB5-83E0-68EB11D21C59.jpeg
    149.6 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hmm, most of the leaves are dead or dying. I see on small one in the center that looks healthy, though it might not be either.
Cut off the dead leaves. You can take off the flowers too, or leave them until they fade if you are enjoying them.
With the dead leaves removed, examine the tuber. Is it solid, or are their signs of rot and decay?

If the tuber is okay, continue to give the light, drainage, irrigation, and fertilizing asdescribed above, though both irrigation and fertilizing should be reduced until new leaves grow back.

How long have you had the plant?

At this point the size of the container is not a problem. The potting soil is the kind that dries out quickly, and it will would also drain well, as long as the container drains. Are there drainage holes on that outer red pot? Perhaps take the inner brown pot out of that red pot.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The tuber is perfectly solid and healthy. I’ve had this plant for a month and a half.It was doing fine until I moved it away from the bright window sill. The red pot does not have drainage holes so I have been making sure it is not sitting in water. How often should I water it ? I have been watering when it starts looking dry .

Reaction score
Country
United States
These two leaves are looking limp and disconnected should I chop them off too? There will only be one good leaf left after that…

Attachments

• 72EFAC12-4C2C-4327-ADE5-FB50635F98CC.jpeg
    72EFAC12-4C2C-4327-ADE5-FB50635F98CC.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's good the tuber is fine. Hopefully it will have enough stored energy to send up another set of leaves.

Those leave probably aren't providing the plant any benefit, but you can leave them on until they fully wither, like the flowers.

The symptoms of underwatering and overwatering can often be remarkably similar. Sometimes both conditions can occur in quick succession.

Keep the soil fairly evenly moist and well-drained. With practice one can often judge watering need by the weight of the pot.

As long as the red pot is never allowed to flood, keep using it, but be wary of such cache pots. If they do accidentally fill with water there is no visible sign until the plant shows distress.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Exciting news!!!!!!!!! Little cyclaman has started to grow new leaves! This plant is so forgiving to my neglect

Attachments

• 5BC9E60E-D70D-4905-8079-37ADF339EC95.jpeg
    5BC9E60E-D70D-4905-8079-37ADF339EC95.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 8

Ask a Question