Mexico Earthquake

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@MaryMary they may have been singing "Cielita Linda" (Beautiful Sky)?

I don't know if that is what they were singing. :confused: Too many voices, some a little early with the words, others a little late, and the reporter was at a little distance. :(

But, I realized when I heard it - that is "The Frito Bandito" song!! I thought they made up the music for commercial. o_O

Here's a blast from our politically incorrect past! :rolleyes: :whistle:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I sing all the time at work, and people look at me like I'm crazy. I guess it's just not something "we" do. :rolleyes:
Thanks for sharing your experience. I think you misinterpreted "crazy" for "surprised". Mexico would love you and you would be able to sing in the streets, in the markets, in the parks, probably best to stay away from the churches, but other than that, there is no problem.

As a footnote, eventually the rescue team had to tell them to shut up because they needed maximum silence to listen for signs of life.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Oh no, Beverly, the Mexicans thought I'd grown another head - Americans look at me like I'm crazy! :eek: :ROFLMAO: (I had a friend burn a CD for me for work, and my "work songs" are ones that make me happy. It's a bit... eclectic. ;).)

Mexico would love you and you would be able to sing in the streets, in the markets, in the parks, probably best to stay away from the churches,

I would love them, too! Now, if it wasn't so danged hot!! :p

No singing in church? :confused:

:)The Frito Bandito tune is from the song "Vaya con Dios" (Go with God).

Oops! :oops:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
he said, they wanted me to sing!! :D (y)
You said Miguel said they wanted you to sing, so now i am confused:).

Mexico is not hot...tropical mexico is hot and humid, where i live is quite warm, but the average annual temperature is 78 with not much variation, the temps can get up to low 90s in the summers, but they don't get over 100 like they do in many places in the US and only rarely above 90. The desert is hot in summer and cold in winter, the Yucatan and Veracruz are stinking hot and humid all the time. The livable places in the central plateau (Mexico is mostly mountainous) is hot in summer and cold in winter because the elevations are between 5000 and 8000 feet above sea level. Mexico City is at an elevation of over 7000 feet above sea level, but you wouldn't want to live there for other reasons. It is warm in summer and cold in winter, but the winter days usually warm up. Guadalajara is a mile high city and to me it is freezing (40 degrees F is freezing to me). There are places in Mexico that look like Switzerland, honestly. It has just about every climate there is. Pick your climate and pick your spot.

About singing in church, most of the churches are Catholic and i don't think they sing in Catholic churches. The monks sing and they have choirs but i don't think the people sing. I have only been to one Catholic church mass when a friend's daughter committed suicide and i went to give her support, but quite frankly churches give me the creeps. My "church" is not a structure, it is outside in nature. I have had 2 priest friends and one monk friend though, well 2 monk friends, but one was Tibetan.

No oops on the Vaya con Dios song. It is a romantic and sad song of two lovers who are parting forever, for some reason i can't remember. It usually makes people cry. "Vaya con Dios" is just a way of saying goodbye, like Adios (technically to God). If you just say Vaya, it means "get lost" or "my goodness", and while we are at it, Dios mio (oh my God), but not considered sacrilegious.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think you misinterpreted "crazy" for "surprised".

I was responding to this part of your earlier post. My earlier post said that "at work, people look at me like I'm crazy." Those are Americans; I am at a different job now. They comment to me (and my co-workers) all the time about my singing. :rolleyes:

"We" are not a singing people. If you "catch" someone singing in the privacy of their own car, even if you :D and give them a (y), they act embarrassed. (I believe that's why karaoke is popular in bars. Most people will only sing once freed of their inhibitions.)

I said the Mexicans were looking at me like I'd grown another head. I did not think they thought I was crazy, I just didn't understand the surprise!! I definitely didn't know "they" are such a singing people.

In hindsight, I guess I surprised them a lot. :LOL:

(40 degrees F is freezing to me).

:eek: But, Sandal season begins and ends at 45 degrees F!! :ROFLMAO:
Pick my climate, and pick my spot... hmm... Someday, I might check into that.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Beverly, yes, I do sing Roy Orbison. :D Pretty much anything from the 50s through the 80s, I'll sing it!! :D

Now, you're tempting me to make a "MaryMary's Music" thread!! :ROFLMAO: YouTube is but a few clicks away, you know!! ;) (Have you ever heard "Bongo Bongo" by the Steve Miller Band?)

what kind of comments do you get from the US people?

"You're not shy, are you?" "Someone's happy to be at work!" "Every time I come in here, you're singing!" Sometimes, someone will sing (quietly) with me. They'll go inform my co-workers - "Your co-worker is singing." (As if they didn't know...:rolleyes:.) And "Is she always singing?"

A man recently followed me around, watching me from a distance. o_O Made me a little nervous. :cautious: His wife and kids were with him, but he kept straying off to watch me. Weird.

Edited to add - they also ask me to come to their church and join the choir. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@MaryMary i am beginning to think your mission in life is to show people it is okay to sing, so i hope you will keep it up and expand plus if you can growl like Tina Turner i am thinking you must be a talented singer. People make comments. So what. I think it makes them happy and i think they might start singing when they wash the dishes. Maybe even in the frozen food section. Here the workers (like painters, plumbers, etc.) sometimes bring a radio to provide music while they work, sometimes they sing along, and sometimes they just sing together and it is lovely really. They are more shy with me because i am a foreigner and might scream at them.:) If you can sing at work, you can certainly sing on your forum. Personally, i would cherish a Utube a day, i can't wait. If you don't do it who will? A thread would be great, you could call it "Mary does not sing Wagner"(just a suggestion). You don't have to do a whole concert, but maybe a song or two at a time each day you have time.

I love the Steve Miller Band so i must have heard Bongo Bongo but don't remember it off hand. I will look it up and take a listen. The people in the US are desperate for something positive and joyful and you can give it to them. Maybe you can even have a sing off contest and whomever wins, wins a mug:LOL: If/when i see that thread pop up, i will be so happy.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Bongo Bongo might surprise you! ;) No one believes it's Steve Miller the first time they hear it.

i am beginning to think your mission in life is to show people it is okay to sing, so i hope you will keep it up

I can't stop. :ROFLMAO: I love to sing.

At other jobs, I have had people sing with me. Two different restaurants, and in one bar I was working - I've gotten almost the entire building to sing with me!! (y)

People are so much more likely to sing when they've been drinking. :rolleyes:

Personally, i would cherish a Utube a day, i can't wait. If you don't do it who will?

:eek: Oh no, I don't sing on YouTube!! I meant I'd post a song that I like to sing!! More along the lines of a "My favorite music" thread. Maybe that would make people sing in front of the computer... :unsure: who knows? (In the privacy of their own home, at least.)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
No casualty reports so far.

Ask a Question