Mexico Earthquake

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Those poor people. :(

I found a site that tracks the earthquakes in Mexico. (There have been 1707 earthquakes in Mexico in the past 365 days. )

If you click the + sign to zoom in 3 times, it will magnify it enough to find Colima. Beverly might not have felt this one either - but it'd be good to hear from her! :unsure:

https://earthquaketrack.com/p/mexico/recent

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Here i am gee whiz another big earthquake i hear was centered in Puebla right next door to Mexico City a 7 point something. I didn't feel a thing, but earthquakes are scary in Mexico City part of which is built on an old lake bed, unstable, prone to liquifaction with a high density of people, not a good combination. I saw the face of a six story building come down in a clip on CNN International. I haven't looked up the details on the internet. Mexico is a country of earthquakes and volcanoes, they go hand and hand. Thanks for thinking of me. Colima has frequent earthquakes that are mostly centered elsewhere but felt here. The last big one an 8.2 was in 2002, long before i arrived.

@zigs thanks for letting us know that trump means fart although it is too kind a name for him, there is still some consolation there. The people here think he is a buffoon in addition to a number of other things best left unsaid.:):oops:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
To the poor long-suffering South Koreans, he is worse than fart.. Two unhinged having a lock horns and the by-standers are shaking EVEN MORE in their boots..

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Been watching the earthquake on the news, not good.

Glad you'm still ok @Beverly

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Thanks for the link @MaryMary. I usually use the usgs site. There are daily earthquakes in Mexico somewhere, some make spectacles of themselves and get a lot of press. Tracking them would be like counting drops of water in a rain barrel, no one bothers about them (except the scientists) unless there is significant infrastructure damage and people who need to be dug out of the rubble. Then, all of Mexico rallies big time and the extraordinary civil protection program jumps into action. They were everywhere evacuating people, providing supplies, etc when the volcano was exploding from 2014-2016. They were all over that mountain and there was no loss of human life. The govt and CP people and citizens and military all go about their business without a lot of fanfare.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Beverly, so happy to hear you are fine. I applaud the govt. and CP people, as well as the military and citizens who pitch in and help those affected.
I hope you remain safe, and that the fine people of Mexico recover from this latest disaster quickly.
I hope that the USA offers help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Thank you for the kind words @marlingardener. :) This earthquake happened on the same day that the last severe earthquake hit Mexico City in 1985 when 9,500 lives were lost.

This one is especially sad because school was in session and so many children are among the dead. The metropolitan area has a population of approx. 21 million, more people than the entire population of the state of Colima. I personally do not feel at risk from anything.

Mexico will probably be offered assistance from the USA by charitable organizations. I don't think they would accept help from the US govt and if Trump comes down to have a taco i expect he will quickly join the casualty list or at least put him to work digging through the rubble. The focus today is to try to rescue as many potentially living people from the rubble as possible, but that rubble is looking so formidable. The Presidente has asked the country for 3 days of prayer, and i will certainly give him that.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
unless there is significant infrastructure damage and people who need to be dug out of the rubble. Then, all of Mexico rallies big time

Yes, I saw a bit of that on CNN. The reporter commented that they were running a bucket brigade, clearing the rubble, looking for survivors. While doing it, they were singing "a traditional Mexican song." The reporter was silent a moment to listen (let the audience listen...) and it sounded like at least 50 people singing.

I couldn't pick out any of the words; there were too many voices. I figure it had to be a "work song," the Mexican version of a sea shanty, or a military cadence call. A song designed to keep everyone moving in the same rhythm.

All my life, watching the news, I've never seen anything like it. It was very moving.

You have to admire and respect their spirit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@MaryMary they may have been singing "Cielita Linda" (Beautiful Sky)?

Yes it is very common here for people in restaurants, walking down the street, etc to break out in song. They sing to create good feelings between people, they are always singing. To create comfort and good feelings is at the root of the Mexican spirit. They don't even yell at each other when there is a car accident. In my little VW Golf, i managed to impail my car on the side of a Bimbo (like Wonderbread) double long, truck in the middle of rush hour on a busy street in Guadalajara. The Bimbo driver was so far away up in the cab he looked like a toy. Of course it was his fault, i had a green light to go straight and he had a green light to turn left. When this happens the vehicles are supposed to stay in the street and not move, but i figured that blocking traffic on 4 lanes of traffic was not a good idea so i waved the driver to continue making his turn, which he did and pulled over to the side of the road. A police car drove slowly past us. The driver said to me "look like nothing is wrong, if they stop and we tell them what happened they will impound your car and my truck". He started whistling at the sky and i started to walk some place until they passed. I called my insurance, he called the Bimbo office who came with their insurance guys and also with auto body people. Pretty soon there were about 20 of us all laughing and telling jokes. I didn't think the people representing me should be joking with all those other guys, but that's the way they do things and pretty soon we were all best friends. The negotiations were complicated and i think we must have been there for over an hour. After i told my version in Spanish, i looked around to see if anyone had ordered beverages and a taco truck, i expected any minute a party was going to break out and every one would start singing. But we wrapped things up by easily negotiating a settlement that every one was happy with and disbursed in the way best of friends would do. As i was driving back to the house, i thought what a strange people these are.

We say when things get tough, the tough get going. Here when things get tough, they sing.:)

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes it is very common here for people in restaurants, walking down the street, etc to break out in song. They sing to create good feelings between people, they are always singing. To create comfort and good feelings is at the root of the Mexican spirit.

We say when things get tough, the tough get going. Here when things get tough, they sing.:)

Beverly, you just explained so much!! :cool: Thank you! :love:

I love to sing. I sing when I'm happy, I sing when I'm mad; because it makes me happy. I sing all the time at work, and people look at me like I'm crazy. I guess it's just not something "we" do. :rolleyes:

Almost 20 years ago, I worked as a server in a Mexican restaurant. (The kitchen staff was all Mexican.) One day, I walked in the kitchen, and heard "Sugar, Sugar." I started singing. The kitchen fell silent, but I didn't notice. When I did - :eek: they were all looking at me like I'd grown another head. :oops: I quit singing. Then I realized that the version I was hearing - was in Spanish!! Well... maybe I was ruining their music. :unsure: Time passed, and next time I went in the kitchen, it was "Dream Lover." I forgot myself and started singing, with the same reaction. I quit singing again.:(

When I went back out to the dining room, Miguel came up to me and asked why I wouldn't sing. :confused: I told him the guys were looking at me like I had done something wrong. No, he said, they wanted me to sing!! :D (y)

It was an entire CD of 50s and 60s songs, in Spanish. I knew every song by the music. I sang every song, I sang all day. It took them a while to quit staring at me. (I kept wanting to say, "For my next trick, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat..." :ROFLMAO:.)

Now, it makes sense. :cool: Thank you.

As i was driving back to the house, i thought what a strange people these are.

We could learn a lot from them. ;)

Ask a Question